Sunday, June 29, 2008
I went out this weekend...both nights to OSCARS! (Its the old Bostons). One of my friends has part ownership. It's a gastropub and stays open til 2 like other bars. GO there! Get the fried green beans.. they're to die for.. and I'm quite serious. It is a bit $$.. Not super $$$, but more so than what you're used to paying at that location for sure...
Anyway, a "low key" night on Sat turned into me breaking my phone, riding in a limo, etc... I dont even know. *sigh* I'm too old for this. (as evidenced by my approaching bday...when I'll be officially LATE 20s... no longer "mid" twenties... whatfreakingever... I'm having a hard time with this, people....Expect a reflective post....)
Did laundry at mom's. Check out what a pretty little lady Gracie's turned into. :) Also...note the routine behavior of her chasing my mom's 11 year old dog at warp speed as he trots like he doesnt even notice... Nice.
Those eyes....You just cant ever be mad at those eyes. This was the face she made when I was like "Why did you bring that stick inside, Gracie?!" She looks so concerned... hahahaha...
I think someone aka GRACIE...is getting a cut for the summer b/c this whole dustbunny the size of my head thing is getting a bit old. Plus, she's hot. Recommended groomer? Anyone?
Spent the night reviewing movies...a LOT of them... for "leadership" and "team building" scenes for a meeting my VP is having... I think this falls under "other duties as assigned..." Just sayin. I wasnt left overly motivated by anything I watched. Whatever.
Getting WAY excited to head to Chicago for my birthday! It'll be my first with Aaron..ever... Two year ago, I had the bar exam and he was in China. Last year, he had the bar exam. He's been denying his old age more than me lately, so I'm hoping we're not in bed by 8:30 every night.. haha...
Now, go back to Kat's blog and stare at pictures of little Nate... They're WAY more interesting than anything I could say... :)
Thursday, June 26, 2008
Welcome to the world Baby Hills!!! (Name is TBA, but it's a BOY!)
Oh, right...and Karl delivered it! Yeah, Karl, her husband...Curious? I thought so:
I'm so happy for them, I could just scream! Actually, my co-workers thought something was wrong b/c I kinda did scream... lol!
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Anyway, it spurred a discussion for us.. I'd like to think I havent reached my peak yet either... b/c that would mean what.. it's all downhill from there?! *sigh*
I guess you can remain at your peak for years, though. (*nodding at myself to make myself feel better*)
I thought back to when I was in really good shape...or had really good hair (2006 was a good hair year for me..lol!)...etc... Anyway, I'm a totally "life isnt about looks and looks fade" person...but as for my physical peak, I havent hit it yet. Nope. I've decided and you can think what you want. ha! One of my friends decided 27 is her year. It's the year she always thought she'd look the best... It cracks me up.
We all use birthdays, reunions, vacations, etc as milestones to work toward regarding physical shape, etc, so I think the whole "peak" thing really waxes and wanes anyway...and is totally subjective... but I prefer to think the best is yet to come, my friends. The best is yet to come. :)
And hello to my artistic friends: (aka not me) help Blaze decorate here.
Monday, June 23, 2008
Sunday, took the boat out one more time. Kelli skied and Kari and I tanned. Actually, I sunblocked the whole time....but I wasnt about to become another lesson in "how to break your ribs/whole body" so I opted to not ski. ;)
Keep in mind this was when we were wading around the popular party island at Texoma. On out way around the island trying to avoid stepping on boat anchors, we got stuck in a convo with some middle-aged guys who were "self employed." One of them was busy telling Kari he was an ultimate fighter while the other told me all about his messy divorce, cheating wife, 5 year old son...Yeah. Drunkenly Kelli later said "Ultimate Fighter? Um...no.. More like kung foo panda.." and we all laughed so hard we couldnt breathe...
So, it was a good weekend. :) I'll post pics later. I was SO tired last night.
I've decided to claim Aaron as my boyfriend today due to some recent thoughtfulness I'd like to share...(teasing, babe... ) In all seriousness, lookie what he came up with for us to do on my birthday weekend (aka the 4th of July..whatever)... :) We get to not only see fireworks, but we get to KAYAK and see them! I am SO pumped! I've never been in a kayak and we were supposed to do it in Costa, but my broken bones didnt bode well for a kayak ride... Plus, I imagine the stars, the fireworks, the kayak...*wistful sigh* :) As long as I dont fall in the water... (*nervous face*).
Anyway, I'm excited b/c I've never been to the chi when it's been summertime...or when Aaron knew where to hang in the great weather. Having lived there almost a year, I'm pumped to see some of the places he's talked about recently. :)
Michele's on vacation. Work isnt as fun without her. haha..Do you have someone like that? I think we all do....
PS.. I have GREAT news... I recently discovered (with the help of a supervisor here) that I might be able to stay with my company in CHICAGO should I decide to move!!! That's outstanding, right? I'll explain later b/c I need to ask a few more questions first.... but how awesome is that?!
Off to go figure out a project I have no idea how to do... Lata.
Friday, June 20, 2008
I forgot to post this, but check it out... I've been with my company a YEAR! It was actually June 4th, the anniversary that is. I was on my way to CA to see Aaron get sworn in. But, whoa.. a year! I remember thinking how scared I was to start a new job for fear I'd hate it...and then in turn would feel like there was something wrong with ME, not the law firm, like I'd originally wanted to believe. So, here I am...plugging along and really loving my job. I mean.. I dont wake up and think "Hell yes! Work!" but I definitely dont have the feelings I used to have of the alarm going off and me thinking "Shit. Another day.. 3 more til Saturday..."
So, I'm obviously ready to move. I love Tulsa and always will. But, I'm ready to try a new experience... That said, I have no plans to leave my job without good cause b/c I know what it's like to hate a job and therefore really be unhappy with life. I think it's easy to forget how much work ties into one's identity...until you have a job you loathe, that is.
Sometimes it makes me sad that I wasnt a better employee during my last 6 mos to a year at the firm. But, then I think back and think "how could I have been? I was utterly devoid of happiness there..."
It's strange, but one day that really struck me as "I hate this place" was a day during the summer.. late June the summer I was taking the bar exam. I was working full time and going to bar review at night. No pity there, a lot of people were doing it...and I was thankful to have a job. But, I was tired. That's what I'm getting at. Tired and stressed...and lonely. Aaron was in China and the 13 hour difference was hard for communication. He called about once or twice a week and I looked forward to those calls like I look forward to using my period as an excuse to eat pounds of chocolate. haha. :) Seriously, though...
He called around 9something in the morning...from China. I was in my office, talking to him for what was to be a 10 minute or less convo. A partner came in and stood in my office just looking at me. I ended my 2 minute phone call with Aaron, knowing I wouldnt talk to him again for a week or so. When I said "Sorry; I was on the phone with Aaron in China..." to explain, she responded coldly "I know. *secretary outside my door* told me. I just made some revisions to your billing, so here you go." She then walked off....
It doesnt seem that significant, I know...but I think everything else just kinda hit me...
I'm fairly certain something just kinda broke inside at that moment..maybe it was bar review...lack of sleep...missing Aaron... disliking my job... I dont know... I was so furiously upset that she'd just STOOD THERE...knowing why I was on the phone....and had NOTHING important to talk to me about.. NOTHING. Mary came in my office to say hi right afterward and I was crying. We vented together and I felt better... haha...
Anyway, I'm just so happy and lucky to be somewhere where I like the people (although I really did like the people at the firm for the most part), like the work, and seem to have discovered a lot about myself... :) So, happy anniversary to me! And, hello...where else can you work where they bring in a 3 ring circus and your boss dresses up like a ringmaster (and I'm serious)?! Love it! :)
Thursday, June 19, 2008
Lesson of the day: Lawyers. justify. anything.
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
I mean.. he married Ali Landry (doritos girl, anyone?)..then when she found out about ALL his infidelities, she had the marriage annuled! (You go, girl!) Then, he just split with Karina Smirnoff (?) and she CRIED on Chelsea Lately about it.. She seems like such a nice girl..and hello.. who wouldnt kill for her accent OR her body. Rumor is he cheated with a Hooters Girl. Really? REALLY?
What. a. dumbass.
Anyway, how is HE America's Hottest Bachelor? I'm just disgusted.
And, the bachelorette? Yeah, I'm in LOVE with Jason. IN. LOVE. Dennis thinks the little boy is gonna seal the deal.. I dunno. I wonder if she'll be freaked? Hmmm...
Also, Michele made her decision. It's well-reasoned and she was like "your friends gave GREAT input" :) Hooray!
I've dragged my lazy ass back to the gym in other news. The Glamour body thing wants me to have three 30 minute cardio sessions per week...and 3 30 minute weight sessions. No. I cannot do that. That's too long. Assholes. I have modified their workout plan.
Monday, June 16, 2008
So, here I sit...smelling myself and loving it (see last week's post). Guess what happened today?!!!! GLAMOUR.COM is NOT BLOCKED on my work server anymore!!! If you'd have asked me when I was 21 years old what I'd be excited about during my workday, I wouldnt have EVER thought that would be the answer.. Whatever.. WOO HOO! I can now access my body by glamour challenge....and read the blogs....I love my life!!!
I also LOVE getting the horoscopes from as many magazines as possible when it's my bday issue! So, here's glamour's!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CANCER!
Why you're wonderful: Your emotional IQ is Mensa-level: Sensitive, nurturing and loyal, you're a caretaker who champions the underdog.
Why you're impossible: Whoosh! That's the sound of your mood swinging from up to down and back again.
If he's a Cancer: His hard shell can be tough to break--he's skittish at first, but romantic, caring and reliable later.
Oh-so-Cancer Liv Tyler: July 1, 1977 Devoted mom Liv is sweet to the core. Her name means "life" in Norwegian.
Not-so-Cancer Courtney Love: July 9, 1964 She has never really been the dependable mother type.
Your month: You're carpe-ing every diem like cautious Crab never has. Bye, comfort zone! (I love this part!!!!!!!)
Your mission: Dating is the one area in which you should show restraint; sudden love moves may make him nervous.
Finally.. please go HERE and vote. Thank you. (and yes, we're quite serious on needing your vote) Love. :)
Sunday, June 15, 2008
Sunday FUNDAY! Got a little group and headed to Charlestons...where we sweated on the patio and ate lunch...then headed to Bru House where we sweated on the patio there...then off to get frozen custard...
Friday night: Sarah and Andrews new casa! :) Girls vs Guys in Scene It! (Girls lost...whatever...). Then, catch phrase.. I think the girls won, but we quit keeping score at some point...
I find that Aaron talks about Chicago and the stuff he's doing there...and I actually get jealous. I had a BLAST with the girls last night.. an absolute blast...but there's a part of me that's so ready for a change. I'd have a blast with the girls visiting me somewhere...right? Right. All in all, great weekend. Just wish I had a friggin pool! Fun in the sun much needed. :)
Thursday, June 12, 2008
And...check out the kick ass hand-painted fan Aaron/his mom gave me. I say Aaron AND his mom b/c Aaron got it in Singapore for his mom a few years ago.. She wanted to decorate with it. Welp, Aaron insisted it smelled and they couldnt use it. His mom insisted she ended up deciding not to decorate with it for whatever reason. Whoever is right, it doesnt stink and it's gorgeous and I plan to use it! :)
I cant figure out where to hang it...It's gorgeous..I mean...I couldnt paint on a fan. Hello. Could you? Actually, Brooke, dont answer that... ;) His mom decided the guy on the boat looks like the dude from Curious George.. I agree....haha
Wednesday, June 11, 2008
2. Insurance. Kel and I had this conversation recently. She has NO paid insurance. My insurance is CRAP..at least for someone single. I pay EVERYTHING out of pocket up to 1,000. ER visits dont apply...That's another 1,000 before insurance kicks in. So, basically, if I'm ever in serious medical trouble, I'm alright, but doctor appts about kill my checking account..esp if they run blood work. It's just annoying. I mean..how is it that 2, young, single, ATTORNEYS have to seriously scrimp to afford health care?! My God. It's just ridiculous in this day and age....and it appalls me.
3. My student loans. I am just plain BITTER about this lately. BITTER. You see, if I'd taken out ALL private, I'd be fine. If I'd taken out ALL government, I'd be fine. However, since I have both, I cannot consolidate those two...and therefore got a letter from the govt wanting me to pay NINE HUNDRED FIFTY dollars a month! Holy SHIT! (I mean..that's with the private combined). I dont need to go into how much I make...but lets just say it's gonna be quite a feat to pay that. My friend took out only private...and was able to make his payment 1/3 of mine owing the SAME amt I do. My priority is my private loans...not only b/c they're manageable, but b/c I can see the light at the end... The govt loan people are just a-holes. It just makes me want to scream. I drive a p-o-s car, live in an apt, and really dont live extravagantly. UGH
4. To lighten it up, my addiction to So You Think You Can Dance and the Bachelorette is becoming an issue as well... I think I'm friends with DeAnna in my head.. and I actually tried one of the dance moves from the show tonight. Wasnt pretty. At all. Gracie looked concerned. :)
5. PMS. It's becoming a problem this week. Sorry. Again TMI, but it's true.
6. I think my apt is haunted. More on this later... I cant decide if it's a problem or if it's kick ass.
7. I cant figure out how to make my text wrap around my images. HELP. ME. I hate picasa. Do I have to use it? Love love. :)
I need a chips ahoy. Damnit. :)
Monday, June 9, 2008
Pics from California tomorrow. I'm tired.
My apt still stinks. No idea where it's coming from.
I cant WAIT to go home and upload the photos from California. I must remedy the dead animal smell my apt has taken on post electrical outage. DeAnna better not make me puke by loving Jeremy on the Bachelorette tonight. Aaron's cousin is really into Gossip Girl, too, and had the headband Blair wore with the big flower from Lily's wedding. I want it. I now have THREE vice presidents to write for and I'm finding it a bit scary-dont want to drop the ball. I've never encountered so many opinionated people re: religion as I have while dating Aaron. I kinda wanna convert to Judaism just to spite them, but that would be for the wrong reasons-I realize. Glad Obama got the nomination-we'll see where this goes. I could seriously use some sushi. I've been drinking way too much soda lately...WAAAY too much. I think my ribs are healed enough to get my ass back to the gym, but I'm gonna milk the rib thing awhile longer mentally I think. A "friend" recently seriously disappointed me, but I guess that goes to show that person wasnt a real friend anyway. I have to find seven "motivational clips" about leadership from movies and have them pieced together for a leadership meeting-I shouldve started on this sooner. Hell. Ever read the similarities between Lincoln and Kennedy? Crazy!!!! Michele (see her blog at Raising Me and Me), has a couple friends in Chicago that might be people I could talk to about potential employment there in the fairly near future. Yes, you read that right. The idea is officially on the table and bloggable.
Cutting this off before it goes on forever. My mind is a whirlwind on Mondays...on most days actually...whatever.
Sunday, June 8, 2008
* 75 Bobby pins
* One bubble machine
* A couple hundred wedding favors
* A beautiful Catholic ceremony at Dave's (and now Blaze's, too!) church :)
* A photography book for Tulsa's 100th birthday (as the guestbook!)
* One awkward moment with Blaze's new mother in law asking me about her gurdle (?)
* A case of bud light...featured in the pictures at TU. Classic. :)
* One hummer limo (when they ordered a Cadillac btw) gone missing...then back...then fired by Dave.
* Two former pageant queens (aka Rachel and me..haha... "Miss Jr. Kentucy and Jr. Indiana-right)...sneaking into the Miss OK dinner for pics..We even convinced the pageant moms!
* One WEDDING DATE (Aaron was FINALLY able to make it to a friend's wedding!!!!!)
* Over 100 photos
* One Cha-Cha slide and Cupid shuffle with Blaze, the group....and my mom....and her dad, too
* One adorable little boy serving as "ring bearer/bell ringer" stealing the dance floor
* LOTS of kappas circling the new bride and singing in Kappa style!
* One other Chi O breaking it down appropriately to Like A Prayer
* One "hospitality suite"
* A limbo game
* A dance-off
* A few tears
* An awkward moment where the bridesmaids walked off during communion...then back...then off again...with confused looks on our faces.... :) It was the boys' fault-they messed it up.
* One hilarious exchange with the priest about what "bubbles" meant (in lieu of rice). (He kept saying "so, where will "the bubbles" take place? Who can participate in "the bubbles?"-had no idea what we meant)
* One hilarious introduction of the wedding party as written by Blaze and Dave (think "Here comes Jax... She has known the bride since 3rd grade...and has taken up the sport of cliff jumping.. Please dont ask her to raise her arm or poke her in the side..." LOL!)
* One moment where I looked like an air traffic controller holding Blaze's bouquet and mine while I crossed my hands over my chest to receive a blessing in lieu of communion (since I'm not Catholic)
* One bride and groom who danced til nearly midnight...and glowed with happiness the entire time! :)
* One Michael Jackson imitation (Dave)
* One "Mexico room" on the "third floor" (when the drinks were actually in the Canada room on the 2nd floor)
* Two stalkers of mini pageant queens (Rachel and Jax)
* One amazing wedding. One amazing couple.
* A thousand priceless memories. :)
Favorite Convo of the night:
Rachel: "I really want a tiara and a sash.."
Jax: "Me too! That might be too far? Nah...Let's go..."
*runs BACK over to the pageant girls holding glasses of beer*
Bethany: (trailing behind) "I think this is a bad idea..."
Rachel: "Damn. I guess it is...We went too far.."
Rachel: *really disappointed* "I know. I really wanted a sash."
Here's the public link to facebook if you want to see more pics :)
Rehearsal dinner was at 5 Oaks in Jenks! Such a gorgeous location...right on the water with a huge deck complete with Christmas lights. :) I'm trying to accessorize my life more (hence the belt and jewelry). Anyhoo, I gave my toast (but hadnt memorized it)-Blaze laughed AND cried-mission accomplished. :) Nah, really, though...I got choked quite a few times that night. I kept repeating "Get it together, Jax... Gah.."
A few getting ready pics from Marilyn Ihloff South. :) I thought the back of my hair looked cool so I opted to feature it for your viewing pleasure. Blaze's makeup only added to the glow she already had that day. :) Gorgeous! Oh, and mimosas added to the getting-ready fun since we got started at 8am! Boys have NO idea what goes into this whole getting pretty thing.
PS- Aaron counted (hey, we didnt have electricity...it was entertainment)... I had SEVENTY FIVE bobby pins in my hair!!!!