Monday, February 21, 2011

Feb 21...

Warning: somewhat emotionally dramatic post ahead... I usually blog kinda sunshine and daisies (haha), soooo I felt the need for a warning....

Today is Presidents Day. And it's the 21st.

February 21, 1994, aka Presidents Day that year, is the day my father passed away. I was 12, going on 13. The 21st is kinda blah...and Presidents Day is kinda blah...but when they fall together again, it's....well...yeah...blah.

It's been many years now...and it's weird to think that he's been gone more years in my life now than he was alive during them.... I can't really wrap my head around that one. Bizarre.

We left the hospital late Sunday night before Presidents Day. He'd been in there awhile...at least a month at that point. And had been in and out regularly for over a year. I'd made friends with some of the nurses. I did my homework in his hospital room and made friends with his neighbors, a nice elderly couple.

Anyway, I didn't go to the hospital when they called that morning at 7am. My mom got the call and said she had to go. She asked if I wanted to come and looked at me in a way that I knew he was gone. She quickly added "If you don't want to come, it's okay... I can come back and get you here in a bit. I'm not sure what's going on at the hospital..." I acted like I didn't know, but I did. I said I'd stay home. I knew my mom didn't want me to see him like that. She was very adamant about my last memory of him being a good one, not...well.. not like that...and I knew it. Plus, I didn't want to see him like that. Anyway, she left....and I got in the shower. I stayed in the shower for a long, long time. I dunno about you, but I have issues crying in the shower. Something about the water hitting your face that seems all not conducive to crying...haha.. So, yeah, I showered.

The rest of the week is kinda a blur... I remember having people over and accidentally dropping the deli meat tray on the floor. Not wanting to upset anyone, I picked it all up and hurriedly put it back on the tray and served it... *cringe* Oops. haha...If anyone out there got food poisoning from my dad's reception, sorry about that... ;) I remember my mom being really strong and not crying in front of me. Ever. I heard her crying at night a couple times, but never saw her... That's my mom. I remember standing in the line at the church and having a bunch of old women tell me I seemed so "well adjusted." To this day, that phrase makes me annoyed. I know they were just being nice, but still...what does that even mean?

Anyway, it's been many years and I think of him often. But, when I think of him now, I rarely get overcome with any sort of sadness. I usually think of a fun memory or tidbit like how we used to dance while I stood on his feet....or how he taught me how to take photos (he was a professional photag), or how he'd ALWAYS go outside with his camera in the middle of a lightening storm, scaring my mother to pieces...haha... Anyway, things like that make me smile; they don't make me sad anymore. I think of the three of us reading the Sunday comics in my parents bed every Sunday morning before church...well four of us if you count our beagle....and how my dad always tried not to use expletives around me when he got mad at the dog for eating random things-shoes, trash, etc.. haha...

He was born with a congenital heart defect that went undiagnosed for a long time. Once they found it, it was apparent it was a terminal condition. My mom knew about it when she married him.... which is something I admire about her, even if I spent years confused about it. When I was helping my mom move into her current house, I found a little box of letters... handwritten love notes. Nothing gross (I mean, c'mon it's still my parents.. ew...haha), but just sweet little things she'd kept that they'd once written each other in class (in college), etc. In retrospect, I think my dad was kinda romantic like that. He told her he was going to marry her on their first date. She told him he was crazy and not to call her again... Anyway, looks like he won that one. ;) They met in journalism class in college. She said he walked into class late EVERY day and when called out on it once by the professor, he proceeded to take a bow in front of the class.  haha... Awesome.

He planned his own funeral....which none of us knew til after he passed. He had it all planned on a notepad, including contact numbers, etc. He obviously didn't want mom to have to do it alone. The one thing that I still find amusing is that he wanted his old high school girlfriend to sing at the funeral.. My parents were friends of hers and her husband's, so it was totally fine...but my mom still rolls her eyes about that one...haha.. Men... *sigh* It definitely provided some needed comic relief to the whole thing...

So, it's the 21st. And I remember why the 21st makes me uncomfortable. But I also love that it brings such great memories about my dad flooding in b/c he was a great person and a great dad. No need for tears... :)

Non dramatic weekend recap coming soon... Sorry for being a little emotion-heavy in this one, friends...

41 comments:

Sarah @ Preaching In Pumps said...

Beautifully written. Saying a little prayer for you today!

Morgan said...

Wow. The way you remember your dad is pretty much amazing. Your parents sound like they were such a fun couple!

xoxo

Jenn W said...

everyone needs a good 'non-sunshiney' post. i admire the fact that you are able to think back about all the fun times with your dad and not get sad. i can't even do that with my grandparents...whenever i sit and think about them my eyes start tearing up. how cute that you found love letters...i def think your mom has to be strong woman to go through what she has!

Shannon said...

I love that on such a sucky day, you're still able to keep the happy memories in the forefront of everything. Keeping you in my thoughts and saying a prayer for you! :)

S said...

This is such a wonderful tribute to your father. I think "well adjusted" is just the older person way of saying "Ya, you're pretty much a badass." ;)

Angela said...

Thinking of you today Jax.

Lindsay said...

This is a beautiful post- what a great way to remember your dad. It sounds like he was a wonderful man :)

Unknown said...

No doubt in my mind that your Dad would be so incredibly proud of you today. I'm sure he watches over you and smiles at how you choose to remember him. Saying a prayer for you today.

Victoria @ From Bourbon to Esplanade said...

OMG I'm in tears right now. You are such a strong woman... sounds like your dad was an amazing person! Sweet sweet post.

C Mae said...

My mom died in 1995. Just as you said, I also, cannot wrap my head around the fact that I have now been gone longer than she was in my little girl childhood life! :(

Katie said...

Sounds like an unbelievable tough time in your life. It's amazing how you can turn the situation into a positive one!

Stacie Jean said...

Thinking of you xoxoox

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

Did you serve all the deli meat you dropped!??!? :)

care said...

I think about you every time this day comes around because of our unfortunate coincidence. Hugs, friend. Thanks for sharing the story. :)

Tiffany said...

Even years later, the day never gets easier in these circumstances. Saying a prayer for you and your family!

~Tiffany
http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com

Ashley Voyles said...

My heart was heavy for you as I was reading this post. My eyes welled up. Your father sounds like an amazing man. I am sure he is looking down on your and very impressed with the woman you have grown up to be. <3 <3

Claire Kiefer said...

Sweet girl! What sweet memories of your dad. I can only imagine how tough it is when the anniversary rolls around, but so grateful that you shared so many stories with us.

Windy City Kelley's said...

Beautiful post. Such good memories of what sounds like a great Dad.

lesleyzellers said...

Wow, that was so well written. I got all teary-eyed last night reading it. Sorry for your tough day.

Annie said...

thanks for sharing an emotional post with us hun...it made me tear up. i'm glad you have such sweet memories with your dad and how on such a "blah" day you are positive and still have happy things to say.
you are an amazing lady and there is no doubt in my mind your dad would be beyond proud of you!! :)
sending you hugs!

Tatiana said...

This is such an emotional, heartbreaking story Jax. I'm so glad that you have such beautiful memories of your dad. He would have been so proud of the beautiful, talented woman you are :-)

Candace said...

what a beautiful post. thanks so much for sharing with us. love you to pieces!!!!

Kitty said...

Thank you for sharing such personal memories~ what a beautiful post. You are amazing.

Lauryl Lane said...

Jackie, that was beautiful. Thank you for sharing. xoxo

Britt said...

Thank you so much for sharing this! It was written perfectly. You have such a great spirit about you, I am sure he is so proud looking down on you today:)

Anonymous said...

This made me tear up. Such a beautiful post.

Kate @ The Anniversary Home said...

Thanks for sharing! Hugs from your blogger friends!

Becca said...

This was so well written and brought tears to my eyes.. Thanks for sharing those sweet memories and honest feelings. :)

Jamie Pickle said...

It's wonderful that you have such fond memories of/with your father. My father passed away when I was 14. I too have wonderful memories but some have slipped away and I am reminded of them when I look at pictures or my family talks about him. **hugs**

katie@tulsadetails said...

That was a very beautiful post. My dad died 7.5 years ago when I was 23 years old. I feel so many of your same sentiments. I know that the one thing that has come of losing my dad is that I am able to help others who have gone through a loss. I am certain your post has helped other people who have struggled with this too :).

Stacia said...

Thanks for sharing, and yes i cried. Makes me think of my Mom, oh I miss her so! I had left the hospital when she passed as well. Big Hugs

Jessica @ Wanting Adventure said...

*hug* While I'm still going through the first year of grief, I can imagine how something can trigger sadness. I sometimes think of my dad and have a happy thought, but mostly I'm still in the sad phase. I'm glad that you can think of all the funny times you and your dad had together - those are the best.

Kaitlin said...

This was really beautiful. I'm pretty sure your dad would be very proud of you today.

Sierra said...

aww honey i'm sorry that this day was hard for you but it's great that you can reflect and remember your dad and all of the times you had with him before he passed. plus the love between your mom and dad was so beautiful!

Kerr said...

that is such an amazing story. I am so sorry you had to lose your dad but it is amazing you have all those great memories. he sounds like he was an great man.

Mrs. H said...

Such a great post. I'm so sorry to hear about your dad but I'm glad that you are focusing on the happy memories. :)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I'm sorry to hear that you had to experience all of that so young but that's great that you can look back and see all the good memories now.

Heather said...

Sounded like an awesome dad; very beautiful way to honor and remember him. xoxo

Andrea said...

Jackie, I still remember this time in your life. I still have such good memories of slumber parties at your house (we were so tiny!!) and how kind and fun your Dad and Mom were.

I just know he is smiling down proudly on you.

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

I am so so sorry for you loss. You wrote this post so beautifully and I know that your dad is looking down on you and smiling at the AMAZING woman you have become.

Jessie Case said...

I know you gave a warning, but I read it anyways and this preggo couldn't take it....lol. Thinking of you & glad you have happy thoughts of your dad. =)