Sunday, December 9, 2012

Recapping!

First, THANK YOU so much for all the kind words about our engagement photos! :) I'm really excited about they way they turned out. :) I didn't mean to drop off the face of the earth after that last post.. Sheez. It was a busy week last week...

Since I've blogged last,

...we got everything all decorated...
Favs: Santa ornament from Maui and my little Gracie ornament Eric brought me from his family trip to CO our first Christmas together.  :)
...I made this project I saw on Pinterest  to keep my pretty ring safe while I shower or clean. Love how it turned out! I got a set of three frames at Pier1 for under $12! So I went ahead and made a couple of these! :)

...I went to my first tacky Christmas party for Timbo's birthday! :) We had antlers. It was awesome. 


What else? Hmm.. Oh! TU won the Conference Championship! Wahoo! Bowl game is in Memphis, but Eric and I probably won't go. It's a big year for us and we need to save $$ like good kids. 

That said, I'm kind of not helping with the saving cash because I may have found something that moved to the top of my Christmas list pretty quickly...
Meet Winston...or  if when we keep him, Sir Winston Churchill. (We added the Churchill. Obviously). If you're on instagram, you've already seen some photos of this adorable little guy! 

You might remember me blogging about thinking of adopting a brother or sister for Gracie... The first dog we tried wasn't a fit. I'd kind of quit looking. I mean, she doesn't seem to care one way or the other, so whatever. 

BUT...

I randomly searched a national website I follow for Cavalier rescues. I feel really strongly about rescuing. Mind you, there are never any rescues in Tulsa, so I just go read the sad stories and then wonder why the hell I just went and made myself really sad. Well...on Thursday, there WAS a dog in Tulsa...on the front page! I speed-read every little detail about him... 2 years old...healthy...housetrained...sweet-natured...hasn't ever had a 'forever home.' (Poor guy). Likely escaped from a mill when he was a baby.

My fingers typed a comment on his post before my brain could even process what I was doing. :) Then, I text Eric a "Please can I apply? PLEASE PLEASE.." He said I could give it a shot, so off went the application through my email. 

I knew it'd be really competitive, but on Friday, I was so excited to get a call! By that night, Eric and I were taking Gracie to meet little Winston at the foster home. By Saturday afternoon, I had picked him up for a trial at our house. :)

I was (and still am, if I'm being honest) a little nervous about Gracie's feelings about the whole thing. She seems cool with Winston, but I think she's also kind of like "What the hell is going on here?" haha... I just don't want her to feel like I'm trying to replace her. And I also have a really tight bond with Gracie (in case you can't tell), so I don't want to ruin that OR make it unfair to Winston. So I'm nervous. I think it's going fine, but I'm just paranoid. 

Checking him out.
I have to admit that little G is certainly warming to W quite a bit. She doesn't go snuggle with him or anything but she lets him play with her toys now (she didn't at first) and will lay by him sometimes. She gets up and moves after a few minutes, but it's still cute.
Ignore the computer wire. I was vacuuming and saw this preciousness. Had to capture it. :)
Little W has some anxiety. His previous owners kept him in a crate A LOT and he didn't really get a lot of love or play time. When he gets nervous, he hides under things. It's cute, but also a little sad now that I know why he's doing it. Poor guy.
We still haven't fully committed to keeping him yet, buuuuut I may have gone to purchase him a bed today. Whatever. He can't just sleep on a blanket! It's gonna get cold tonight! (You can totally see where this is headed...haha). And I also got G a new bed, too. I'd say both went over quite well...(The below photos were literally 2 minutes after I put the new beds down on the ground). 
She came over to check out his bed, too. Cute. 
So, yeah, looks like we have a new family member just in time for Christmas unless something crazy happens! But, I'm also still looking for any words about how anyone adopted a second dog and how it went with your first dog still feeling special... I think I might be putting emotions on Gracie that aren't even there b/c she seems a little cautious but overall pretty fine. And I really do think she's gonna dig having a friend around, especially while Eric and I are at work. And he's just a doll. He's basically the male version of Gracie, but with some anxiety due to his tough little life. I just love him already.

So yeah, that's what I've been up to! Oh and tomorrow is my lovely mamma's birthday! We just got back from dinner to celebrate! Happiest birthday to an amazing, strong, outstanding woman that I'm fortunate enough to call mom! :)

Stay warm, friends! It's supposed to get COLD tonight in T-town!

14 comments:

Nikki said...

Congrats on Winston! He sure is cute :) And love your Pinterest ring frame. I saw that the other day and now I really want to make one.

Krystal said...

OH the puppy is precious!! I, of course, already saw him on instagram and think he's pretty lucky to be in your family!!
Ring frame...adorbs!!
Looks like a pretty great weekend!!

Married...with a Pup said...

I'm so glad to hear that Winston is adapting well!!! He is seriously so cute and it sounds like Gracie is handling everything fine. Just like you said I think she will like having the company when you aren't around!

Cassie said...

We adopted another dog in September after my little Duke had been a very spoiled only child for about 5 years. I had most of the same concerns you did. Our situation is a little different in that we now have two males, which causes some dominance issues, but nothing major. Duke wasn't super excited about it at first, but in about 2 weeks, they started playing and running through the house and now I think he'd be lost without his brother. Just remember they are and will always be pack animals and that natural instinct is somewhere inside them, even if you aren't aware of it. Plus, you get to give another dog a wonderful life!

Kaitlin said...

Winston is a cutie!! I hope you are able to keep him. We rescued Willie after George had been the king of the house for 8 years...there were some rough patches the first few weeks, but now they sleep next to each other & wake up playing. It's borderline ridiculous how well they get along! Willie def exhibits some anxiety still, but it has subsided little by little since July. Good luck!

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

I loveeee Winston - he is so so cute! Glad to hear that Miss Gracie is adjusting well to a new member of the family! And I saw the ring holder on your pintret board and thought it was so cute too - I may have to copy you!

Windy City Kelley's said...

You totally need to keep him! So cute! We had a foster dog with anxiety. We tried to take her on walks by herself during the day and it helped a ton.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I know I've already said it on Instagram but I'm really hoping you keep him! He is just adorable!!!! To me it looks like it's going really well! Poor little guy, it breaks my heart to hear that he's had such a hard life so far. I think your house is exactly what he needs because you'll give little winston churchill (LOVE IT) a great home!

katie@tulsadetails said...

Congratulations!!! He's a cutie and will make such a great addition! We think getting Carter prolonged Pudge's life, so you are basically helping Gracie have the longest life possible! Hope it works out perfectly!!

TracyZLesh @ Then I Got To Thinking said...

I LOVE Winston - he is so cute. Glad Gracie is warming up to him. You and E seriously are adorable. Your house looks beautiful!

Amanda Kuhn said...

We have adopted four dogs in 6 years :) the first dog was alone for a year and then we adopted another dog. Four years later we adopted our 3rd dog and 11 months later we adopted our 4th. We have 2 boys and 2 girls and they range from 10lbs from 60lbs and they all sleep with us :) every time we have adopted the dogs are a little weary of each other for 4-6 weeks. You gotta remember adopted dogs who haven't lived in homes are going to be fearful and weary of you and other dogs. Give it some time, they're getting to know each other if it been a week and Gracie isn't being aggressive or doing things out of character like having accidents in the house, not eating, ect. Then you are doing excellent! If he was used to being in a crate you should have a small crate in your common area like the living room and leave the gate open so the little guy can go in or out as much as he pleases. It took ours a year and a half to not need his crate anymore. You want to make him as comfortable as possible! Our dog was 20lbs under weight from abuse and sometimes when we were in the living room my boyfriend and I and our first dog, he just would walk in his crate and lay down and after a while he would walk out and join us on the sofa. Winston needs to feel age and secure. They will bond and be like best buds before you know it!! It'll be like Gracie was never the only dog you'll see!

Erin O. said...

Congrats on the new dog! I will say, I have a dog and when I met my boyfriend he didn't have any dogs. He was toying with the idea-you get where this is going!!! The next thing I know, he has two. Yup, between the two of us, we have three and are planning on moving in together in the spring. It was an adjustment as the three dogs spend alot of time together, but now they are best buds. Gracie remind me of our dog, Fisher and she has done beautifully transitioning. Good luck and enjoy your two!!

Merry Christmas.

midwesterngal said...

Just from the pictures --- I think they are doing really well!!! :) SO CUTE. I'm sure she's cautious at first. When we have dogs visit our golden retriever, they are usually fairly cautious around her and then a week or two later they are best friends and practically sleeping on top of one another. ;)

Lindsay said...

Sir Winston is just adorable! We adopted a dog about 2 years ago and she is wonderful. Rescuing is always the way to go!