This weekend, Eric and I went to a friend's bbq. (more pics coming tomorrowish). I was super excited to make spicy corn dip. Spicy corn dip=awesomesauce dip my friends always make for stuff and it's extremely easy and YUMMY! It's seriously the crack of dips, people. So, I obviously wanted to take it to Eric's friend's bbq and be the girl who brought the amazing dip. Duh.
After an interesting episode at the grocery store where an idiot employee tried to tell me hominy was the same thing as Mexican corn and I almost flipped sh*t b/c I was running incredibly late, I made it home (thanks to Jenny's calming advice as to where Mexican corn is located in that particular store). I had 30 minutes to make the dip, shower, and get ready/to Eric's house. (See, I said I was running late).
I immediately started frantically chopping things and combining ingredients.. I was rocking.and.rolling. like freaking M@rtha Stewart, people.
I made the dip in 10 minutes or so and rushed to the shower...when my hand started hurting.
You know I'm not exactly a chef if you've been reading this for awhile, but I get points for trying. And I'm not bad.. I just don't have a lot of cooking experience.
Well, here's what I learned this weekend:
When seeding these...
always wear these....
B/c if you don't, your hand will feel like this....
...for um, hours. (Thanks to Eric for pouring milk over my hand in a bowl, taking an ice pack to the party for me, and not making fun of me...and also immediately complimenting me on my dip)
As an aside, the dip was a freaking major hit. Jalapeno hand=worth it.
22 comments:
hahah yes spicy corn dip is the reason i have gloves in my kitchen. also, vegetable oil is supposed to help with the burning (i've tried milk also). if it makes you feel any better, i've done an eye rub post-jalepeno chopping. lost a contact that time!! :) glad it was a hit! yum yum yum!
Awe, Eric is great! I mean seriously. He cooks, buys you swimsuits you don't need but totally want AND he pours milk on your hands when they are burning and doesn't make fun of you. While Bryan doesn't make fun of me for being a total basket case right now, he would totally make fun of me for that. Yall are also a great couple (so much less awkward to say it here than when I felt like telling you that when responding to an email).
Can you post a recipe for the spicy corn dip? Is it on here somewhere? Sounds delish, and I'm a wanna be bringer of the best dip to the party. :)
Oh yeah, I meant to link it! Here's the recipe! YUMMMMMMO! I'll link it in my weekend post tomorrow too, but if you're curious, here's the recipe!
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/spicy-corn-dip/Detail.aspx
So easy!
Oh man, I feel your pain! I've been there before! How sweet of Eric-what a keeper you have! :)
Spicy corn dip sounds delish! Jalepenos plus no gloves plus taking out your contacts equals intense pain as well!
aww that was cute of him to help! I love when they come to our rescue
At least you didn't tough your eyes with your jalepeno hands! Been there...done that...
The dip sounds awesome! Or awesomesauce. haha!
I did that making salsa a few weeks ago, definitely feel your pain!
I always wear gloves when working with jalaps. I made the mistake of rubbing my eye after chopping those suckers once. And I had washed my hands before doing it. That stuff does not come off! It was one of the worst pains ever.
ouch!!! but hey they did love the dip :)
Pure Vanilla works for burns as well! And it smells good too!
Um, yes, I also learned that lesson the hard way when Lee and I made stuffed jalapenos last year. My thumb burned for like 3 days! Now I make Lee deal with them because they don't seem to burn his hands for some reason.
Spicy corn dip sounds delicious! And your poor hand- thank goodness you had someone there to take care of you!
Sounds awesome! And hominy shouldn't even be allowed to be in the same category as corn. Yuck! I bought it by mistake once. Gross. I don't know what it is, but it's not right!
Ohhhh I want to try that! I hope my man will be as prepared as yours! What a cute story!
Oh no! I'm sorry! But at least your dip rocked! I'm going to give it a try! I hope your hand is better!
That sounds amazing! Can I bug you to share the recipe?
I bet your dip rocked!
LOL! i wouldn't have known that either, mainly cuz i don't like/eat jalapenos. but so glad for the kitchen tip; I can always use them. Great story! Hope you don't mind, I am linking your blog to mine so I can remember to check on you more often, and I can just think back to the days I was in MY 20's (my days at EC!)
you always manage to make me laugh! yay for you trying the kitchen! I am horrified of food, lol, so the kitchen + me = grilled cheese :) Can't wait to see how it all turned out!
I want a girls weekend! How fun!!
Post a Comment