I have come to find out that a large number of people in my office are terrified of my VP. When I say terrified, I mean, would run around fanning her all day if they think it would make her happier or make her like them more. I've got news for these people, someone who actually gives you POSITIVE feedback, is extremely energetic, albeit demanding and driven, is not. that. scary. Have these people never worked with REALLY short-tempered people or am I just missing something?
I mean.. although I have great respect for this person as a lawyer and would definitely assert that her intelligence rivals most execs I've met, I almost peed my pants when, at my old job, this woman yelled...slammed things...and exclaimed "G** DAMMIT!" from the kitchen. Why, you ask.. Well, duh.. we were out of water. I mean that's enough to make anyone curse and scream, right? Uh huh. Coping skills, people... Coping skills.
I think I just came from a high-stress environment where the job in itself is adversarial. Leaving that behind with daily personal things is often not so easy in an office full of lawyers. So, in comparison... this really isn't anything. One person that's demanding and intense? Not so bad. Plus, I rather LIKE stress. I mean.. I DID go to law school after all. There's a part of me that gets a rush from it.
This is in NO WAY to discount the fact that my VP commands attention and expects perfection. But, to me, I dont think that's asking too much. There are often things out of one's control that make things imperfect. I will likely do something at some point that royally pisses her off. That's life. I still try my hardest. But, do I live in fear like a couple other people up here that her mere gaze will turn me to stone? Um. No. I have better things to do...like work.
I think my favorite was when, there was a problem with a powerpoint slide and I just went straight to her to resolve it. A couple other people were shocked that I seemed to be that brave. What?! Newsflash...if I try my best and she hates it, that's her problem, not mine.
Gah.. I've learned so much in my short little career out of school... lol!
1 comment:
lol! kudos to you, jackie. glad you find no time in life to be petrified of your boss. scaredy-cats won't get promotions like you will. ;)
Post a Comment