Somewhere after reading my Glamour magazine, deciding Marie Claire was utterly devoid of anything interesting, and attempting to avoid awkward conversation with the guy sitting in seat 19B, some deep thinking began. It was on my way back over a sea of tiny lights through irritation that I couldnt sleep due to Pepsi overload that I thought a lot about being in my 20s. I thought about fairness and about inexperience...about confusion and idealism. I basically decided one thing: I'm not invincible...anymore.
That sounds obvious. I mean.. of course I'm not invincible...nor have I ever been. But, for some reason, I feel as though that notion becomes more "real" in your 20s. I mean... I feel as though, when in our 20s, we realize we're really not untouchable.. We can get fired. We can lose a loved one. We can fail. We can have colossal heartbreak....all while giving everything we've got. It's not fair sometimes,. This isn't to say that I've never been through anything before I hit my 20s. My father passed away when I was 12 just to name one.... but I dont know if there's something about a certain level of maturity you hit in your 20s that says "This can happen to me?!" At the same time, you want to start hitting that "fake break" your parents hit when you started to learn to drive...
I guess I was just thinking about all this..and realizing those moments when you're not so "untouchable" and really aren't invincible...are the moments in your life...and especially in your 20s...when you build more character than you can stand-even when you'd rather not have a craptastic "character building experience." So, even though I'm not having one of those right now, just sayin...deep thinking next to the bald guy in 19B (who had my armrest) made for an interesting flight. Partially frustrated that things aren't always fair...or deserved...I'm still okay with not being invincible and seeing where that takes me.
1 comment:
I can now post comments again!
Post a Comment