Anyway, as I was packing I got to thinking about my apartment. This little, loud, poorly insulated apartment. With the fire station nearby. And the window units. And the strange characters often hanging around nearby or in the alley (*nervous*). But, I wasn't thinking about all that. I was thinking more about how it was my first place after law school. And how it saw me take the bar exam... It got to see a lot of tears, nerves, and...well..not much cleaning during that time.. haha.. This apartment saw me do a little happy dance all over the living room when I passed the bar! It saw the start...and end of a job working as a lawyer. And it got to see me fidgeting nervously in my suit before heading to my interviews at my current job. :)
This apartment saw many packed and unpacked suitcases as I chased after a long distance relationship in my ever-optimistic-and-determined-to-make-it-work way. And it saw frustration and tears when I finally admitted things shouldn't always be about "making" it work...and ultimately learned a lot about myself in the process.
It's seen a bachelorette party for my best friend, countless episodes of Lost (that counts for something, right?!), some successful...and not so successful attempts at baking (haha). This little apartment is the first home Gracie dog has known with me!
My little apartment saw me fall down the stairs and break my back (good gosh), but it also saw me recover (and take a few comedic conference calls on pain meds in the process...).
It's seen me run then purposely slide across the floor in socks almost every night to turn off the living room lights and it's seen my first car I bought on my very own!
It's seen many visits by friends, an ice storm (and 13 day power outage that came along with it), and my attempt at pilates along with a dvd *it wasn't pretty*
My little apartment saw the giddy, I-have-a-crush grin I walked in the front door with as I was starting to get to know Eric. :) *smiling as I type that* It got to hear the phone convos I had with friends about how much I was starting to like him but "I was going to play it cool..." haha..;) And it also saw Gracie vomiting all over from something random she ate....the FIRST night Eric came over to hang out. (funny now, mortifying then..haha).
I've definitely lived here a little longer than I thought I would...and although I'm ready to move, I've made some great memories here. And I've grown up a lot. Weird to think about actually... Anyway, packing up the kitchen got me thinking and I didn't know if I'd have time to post about the good old apartment in the hustle and bustle of moving in a couple weeks, so thought I'd jot some stuff down now. :) Weekend update post coming soon...
4 comments:
Happy moving to be girl! you know, I feel the same way about my apt. I have only been at my current one for about 2 years, but I think it might be time to move on. Now I have to figure out if I want to live on my own or stay with my roomies. I hope everything falls into place for you Jax!
Love this post! It's awesome to think about your first place with such fondness.
I love this post! I kind of wish I could have thought like that when I moved out of my apartment because it saw alot of firsts too. However, all I could focus on was the bad stuff and getting out of there.
I love your happy outlook on life :)
good post! moving is such a b*tch. we're moving on sunday. NOT looking forward to it. makes me want to just throw everything away and start over! ha
Post a Comment