Thursday, August 12, 2010

Thursday Random.

You know those days when you wake up and think "it CANT already be morning" after a series of semi-messed up, I-might-be-in-Inception-the-movie dreams, and/or being awakened like a bazillion times by neighbor/dog/whatever?

Yeah, today was one of those mornings.

I think I'm just tired this week, though. (I also think my dog has an obsession with licking the comforter in some plan to keep me awake, but whatever). I worked our United W*y Campaign employee block party on Tuesday night and it messed up my whole concept of what day of the week it is... b/c my brain is telling me a block party should have happened on a Thursday or something.. Anyway, it was a fun event! Buuuuuut, I was the "dunk tank operator" for 3 hours in 100 degree weather on asphalt! haha! And I didn't realize I'd be also CHASING after the balls people threw! That said, it was quite comical. They got really into it and would say "I NEED ANOTHER BALL" in the most determined"I'm gonna dunk him/her this time" voice and I'd think "really? REALLY?" as I chased after the little round object in a sundress trying to bend in a ladylike way and not show my ladyparts to the people who pay my salary... hahahaha..

Admittedly, I'm glad to be involved b/c I kinda miss events and stuff and being on a committee for things (at my former job). But, it kinda wore me out and messed up my weekdays... I'm officially old. *le sigh* ;)

I always laugh at myself over stuff like this b/c I remember being *cough... younger..cough cough* and being out til gawd knows when every single night. (What was I thinking?!)

And do you remember the days of not even going OUT until 11:00 p.m.?! I remember getting in the shower at like 9:30 to get READY for the night. Mind you, I'm still social.. but if I'm not already out and about by like 8:30, it ain't happenin'... ;)

I laugh at myself getting tired from a block party on a Tuesday....(mind you, I also had a dinner party that went late last night, too, though. So I'm prolly not giving myself enough credit. But whatever).

Anyway....

Some randomness..

I've recently started cyber stalking http://www.lulus.com/. LOVE their little dresses and want to buy some! Have you ever? Reviews? Run big? Run small? Some look a little short, but whatever. Curious!

Along those lines of "some look a little short," I'm not only getting tired from block parties in my old age (hahaha), I've also become SUPER aware of dressing for your age.

Why?

Well.. there's someone in my life..one of my friends...who CONSISTENTLY dresses like a college girl going to a frat party from clothes to jewelry to shoes. (no, she doesn't read this. I'm not THAT rude. Goodness). ;) She's super sweet and adorable.. but...is almost 30 with a professional job. I see her sometimes and think "Oh no.. no no no!" So, now I'm probably worrying too much. (not probably; I am worrying too much). I don't want to ever be perceived like that! AGH! I see her and think "wow.. she's trying really hard..." Unattractive, right?! Do you know anyone like that?

I'm not saying I'm signing up for turtlenecks with ankle-brushing skirts. I mean.. hello.. We've met. I like little dresses. But, I've just gotten this weird heightened awareness lately that I'm likely over-obsessing about...

So this whole post is basically making me sound like an oldie and I dont know how that happened. I might as well complain about the youngsters blasting that loud music or something. Good grief. Anyway, hope you're having a fantastic Thursday, lovelies!

16 comments:

Marian said...

Whats up grandma;) Just kidding. I'm totally the same way about going out. If its between 9-10pm and we haven't left yet, I probably will bail. The other weekend it was, honest to god, 11:45pm and I was ready to go home...though the reasoning behind that could be that I WAS acting like a college kid and had drank WAY too much!! Body just can't handle it like it use to:)

The Undomestic Mom said...

I love LuLu's ...I havent bought anything yet because I havent heard how their sizes run either but I have like 4 things in my shopping bag on the site haha! Ive been so paranoid lately about dressing too young...I dont want to dress total mom-ish but I also dont want to look skanky!

The Undomestic Mom said...

oh and I always think you are dressed adorably in your pictures so I dont think you need to worry!

Lauryl Lane said...

I went through my closet the other day and pulled out a shit ton of clothes from college. I've gained enough weight that I can't wear them anymore, anyway... but it also felt sort of tragic to put them in big bags and take them over to Out of the Closet to donate. I've been noticing people my age still dressing in college-esque clothing, too, and realizing how inappropriate it seems. I don't feel OLD by any means, but I'm beginning to feel quite grown-up. ;-)

Stacia said...

I have a friend that does this and not to mention she is overweight geez! She always tells me I dress to conservative...

Candace said...

okay. you totally made my thurday afternoon as I am know laughing out loud in my office! I totally get what you mean about dressing your age -- mid to late twenties are hard because you don't want to look like a high school kid, but at the same time, you don't want to be dressing like my 40-something boss :) My rule is to stick to solid classicly tailored peices for work, and trendy for fun! You can always dress up your classic work look with a fun scarf or necklace to make it a little more 'youthful'.

p.s. you always look chic in your pics here on your blog, so i'm fairly certain you have nothing to worry about, even if you are ready for bed by nine ;) just don't start knitting :)

Lenzi @ Homemade Happiness said...

I love looking at lulus.com! But I've yet to pull the trigger and buy anything. There's actually a boutique here in Nashville, where I live, that has a LOT of the same stuff. And you're right, the biggest problem is all the clothes are itty-bitty these days! I suggest measuring the length - I'm a big Forever21 shopper too and I always look at the length measurement. I'm 5'4 and usually if it's at LEAST 33" long from shoulder to hem, I can wear it - with FLATS.
Hope that helps!

Amanda J said...

Jackie you are SO not old!!! But being out in the 100 degree weather will make you feel that way in about 5 minutes! =)
And yes, I remember the days when we didn't go out till 11pm...I'm not sure what that was all about! Because now if I'm not in bed by 11 the next morning I'm dragging!
Have a great Friday!

The Undomestic Mom said...

okay how many times can I seriously comment on this post..just wanted to let you know that I just talked to LuLus and they are offering all of my readers 15% off using the code UNDOMESTICMOMMA

Joanna said...

Hi I just started following you! your blog is absolutely adorable!!!

Kristen said...

You must be getting up there -ha ha! I am the same way about going out, getting in the shower at 9:30?...try getting into bed!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Haha, I had this same realization recently that I was old. I was out late and all I wanted to do was go to sleep because it was hours past my bed time!

Mateya said...

One of my good girlfriends and I were JUST talking about this. Back in college we would take naps on Saturdays until 8pm, then get up and shower/get ready, and finally go out to a party at like 11pm....WHAT?! Now if I don't have a plan by 8pm, I am going nowhere haha!

Hilary said...

I think the fact that you have that awareness is proof enough that you won't be THAT girl. I've started the same way when it comes to the length of my shorts/skirts. I always second guess myself when I put on a pair of short shorts. Then I try to realize that I'm ONLY 24, and as long as my pockets aren't longer than my shorts, I'm probably okay. :-)

Kerr said...

I totally know what you mean about feeling old when a weeknight party messes up your week! I remember watching "must see TV" on Thursday night back when Friends was still on and then getting ready to go out. Ah college....

Anonymous said...

I completely agree! I remember how no one was even doing anything until close to midnight. Now I want to be home and in bed no later than 10:30, and that's on the weekends! I just love my sleep!