As you likely know, a massive tornado-the most devastating in Missouri's history-ripped through Joplin yesterday evening. For those of you not familiar with the area, Joplin is just about an hour and a half down the highway from Tulsa... As more storms are expected to tear through the area over the next couple days, even possibly some tornados, my prayers go out to everyone in Joplin and the surrounding area...
My friends, Lauren and Tyler (the girl from last weekend's wedding shower at the bottom of this post) were in Joplin, following the passing of her grandmother. They were actually in her grandmother's home when the tornado hit. She said she heard a window blow out and that's when they took off for the bathroom. All five family members in the house at the time huddled in the bathtub and are thankfully safe! She said it was absolutely terrifying to see chunks of ceiling being peeled away to reveal the sky above them... She sent some pics and I thought I'd share.... The devastation is surreal...
These are all what was once her grandmother's home...
Tyler's (her fiance) Tahoe...
The front of the house...
I know this tornado season has been absolutely devastating for many areas of the country.. So sad. Many relief efforts are being launched locally and I'll try to come back to this post and start linking them up if you want to help...
With storms approaching my area over the next couple days, I plan on stocking my creepy storm cellar with extra batteries, extra flashlight, battery powered radio, etc in an airtight tub. I mean, believe me, I don't wanna have to go in there (b/c it's CREEPY) but creepy cellar vs. tornado... The winner is obvious. Admittedly, living in tornado alley my whole life, I took tornados seriously..but not SUPER seriously. We used to play drinking games in college during tornado warnings. I mean, the sirens go off at least 10-15 times per tornado season so I guess you just get used to them... But, maybe I'm just getting older and wiser b/c now I'm of the better safe than sorry school of thought...
![]() |
| See? It really is creepy! (Please ignore the hand weights we're using to keep it propped. ha) |

11 comments:
So sorry to hear about your friend's house but WOW that they are all okay.
My brother and grandma live in Joplin too. They are both ok, but Scott is going to move down here this week instead of waiting until June because he said there's really nothing there anymore. So sad and scary. The church where my parents were married was destroyed and the house where my aunt grew up (everyone else was already out of the house at that point) and my mom and dad had their wedding reception is gone. Hopefully, this next round of storms is kinder to us all.
those pictures are devestating. my heart goes out to your friend and her family. stay safe!
Glad your friend is OK. I am awestruck by the devastation. We drove through Joplin & made a pit stop on Rangeline 4 hours before it hit yesterday & it was calm and cloudy...unbelievable. And, I'm w/ you, I'm already prepping our safe room for this week's predicted mess- as creepy as it is, you guys are lucky to have that storm cellar!
I'm so glad to hear your friend and her family are okay. I can't believe you guys actually have a storm cellar. I've heard of them but never seen them! Be safe!!!
Oh my gosh I am SO glad to hear your friend is okay. I saw it this morning on the Today Show and the coverage just broke my heart. Since you live so close and your friend was effected please share if there is any special cause or charity I can donate too.
So crazy! I just read that about 30% of the city is destroyed... With more possibly on the way, I just can't imagine. It seems like there's been an usually high amount of tornadoes this season, even for our area.
Oh my goodness. I can't believe that destruction! My husband's aunt was in Joplin and were hit but not that bad. They're actually waiting to be rescued as of this morning because they were worried about structural damage and don't want to hit anything that might bring the house down on their head. Yikes. Praying for Joplin.
Oh my gosh!!! How crazy and awful! I can't believe the damage. Your storm cellar looks creepy but I hope it keeps you safe!
I feel so bad for all the people that lost everything. This weather has been crazy lately and I'm ready for summer for sure.
Be safe this week!
this is scary. thank god your friends are ok!
Post a Comment