Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I'm from the Lou and I'm proud...

Okay, I'm really not.. but I'm in the lou... :) Meeting in STL alllllll day today. Back tomorrow. :) I tried to comment on most of your WBW bloggage, but I'm kinda sleeeeeepy, so if I didn't make sense, sorry about that... haha.. But, I have to admit, Stacia gets major kudos b/c I've definitely come to LOVE me some WBW! :)

Took me forever to get online. Really quickly...why do companies outsource their internet providers through India? Seriously...I had to call for help and was like "I need to launch my VPN.." followed by something I didn't understand in response to that statement. *sigh* Whatev. I dont mean that offensively, but more out of sleepy efforts to login to my email through frustration and being put on hold a ton....

So, today, we had a teambuilding exercise/peer recognition. First, lemme begin with a story. It was junior year in high school. I was at BASIC student coucil camp...aka the mecca of student council camps. Kids come from allllll over the area to attend. My roomie was awesome..She was from Blackwell and her biggest aspiration of the year was to be the homecoming queen. I dont mean to discount her, but it was high school and back then, I found her (extremely detailed) plan of action somewhat fascinating..haha! Priorities were different. Duh. Anyway, the biggest achievements I recall are karate hitting through a board (yeah, I did) and doing a trust fall. I was so nervous I had to leave the room and return to do the fall...haha.. Anyway, it was a fun week. I definitely wasn't the loudest, but I wasn't the quietest by any means. At the end of the week, we all (the whole camp) did an activity with our "group" where we each filled out a plus sign with someone's name and why that single person had postively impacted our week. The hot guy in our group got like 8 plus signs...(the groups had like 20ppl)...one of which was given by my roomie...hahaha.. The quiet girl got one or two for coming out of her shell. Anyway, I was upset...b/c I didn't get any. Yup, that's right. None. To this day, I think that's bullsh*t. hahahaha... I mean... I wasnt the loudest. I wasn't the one in your face. I was a leader and liked to give other people credit. That said, I was sad. I mean I was really sad. And it put a damper in my memory regarding the entire experience even to this day.

Later on, I realized that was such a dumb activity to do with a bunch of self absorbed high schoolers, but still...it had hurt my feelers.

Today, we did something similar. Take three index cards and write positive things about three people on the team anonymously. My head went back to that high school activity and I got nervous for leaving someone out. So, I wrote things about people that may or may not otherwise be left out. Not that they didnt benefit the team and deserve recognition, but just that they weren't the quietest OR the loudest...soo...yeah. Well, sure enough, one girl got left out. NOTHING was said about her. I felt so badly. She's really chill, but the look on her face said it all. Ah..activities like that are stupid. If you are ever in a managerial role, please don't do something like that unless you have stuff prepared to toss in for anyone who gets left out. Tonight, some of us sat down in the bar and had a drink after dinner. She went to her room. I dunno...I'm likely overreacting, but my little oversensitive high schooler just came out a little... haha..

In other news....
Did you hear about Oprah getting the NATION KFC?! How do you know you have too much money? Just sayin...

And what do you think about the body scanners as the Tulsa airport? Not gonna go into detail, but I'm one of those "whatever" people.. I mean.. yada yada privacy.. But, a coworker had a male security worker snicker along with another male worker as she went through a month ago. It was to the point that the guy behind her said "Ma'am, I'd advise you to go to another line.." Today was the first day I've flown out of Tulsa and I didn't think about it. However, the woman checking boarding passes and id's ushered the three men before me to the body scanner and said "you should go to the other line" to me..aka without the scanner...which creeped me out even more that the security is actually interested in our naughty bits! *nervous* I mean.. I'm not modest...at all really. But, uh, I don't need some pervo checking out my goods at an AIRPORT. Sick.

Ah, I'm ranting instead of sleeping. I need to be doing the latter.. *sigh* Have a good day, everyone!

6 comments:

Lauryl Lane said...

Okay, wait, does this mean I was body-scanned when I went through last Saturday??? I mean, there was freaking NOBODY at the airport, seriously NOBODY. It was like the Twilight Zone. The security people were all grouped up talking to each other when I went through security. I didn't think anything of it, I mean, they had to have been super-bored (seriously, I'm surprised the Tulsa airport is still open... I got there early for my flight and in 2 hours of sitting there saw fewer people in the airport than I usually see walking down the alley behind my house in 2 hours on a late weeknight)... anyway, were they all sitting there laughing and talking about my BODY SCAN??? Actually, I have to admit that I don't care. ;)

Also, Oprah... well yes, we printed the coupons last night and went to KFC tonight. Only to be told that they'd "reach their limit" and couldn't honor any more coupons. We proceeded to call 5 other KFCs in LA and Glendale, all with the same result. So, if you live in a large city, Oprah really didn't buy you dinner after all. Sammy wants to write to her and bitch her out for encouraging people to waste paper printing the dumb coupons that couldn't be redeemed. Got his inner environmentalist all riled up. ;)

Lauryl Lane said...

and i apologize for just leaving an email-sized comment. oops.

melissa said...

team-building exercises, when requiring team members to include some but not all of their fellow team members in praise or thanks or whatever, can be team-demolishing exercises.

i'm sorry your high-school experience was shitty. but, look, you probably made your three people feel really awesome because of it. :)

(please excuse the excessive positivity; i didn't get much sleep and haven't had any caffeine yet, so i'm kind of delirious.)

Meredith said...

This post brought back every single junior high/high school insecurity I ever felt. That is by far the dumbest exercise ever. I'm pissed.

And the whole airport thing is creepy. Body scanner? I have an embarrassing story re. airport security circa 2001--I'll email it to you sometime. Not sure this is the place.

WBW was fun. :)

Stacia said...

I would have gone to my room too, or maybe got really drunk and gave those folks something to remember..ha!

Thanks for the WBW props!! I absolutely love it!!

body scanners, um no!

In This Wonderful Life said...

giving the nation kfc? CRAZY!!! I CANNOT STAND when I call to speak to someone is customer service and I can't understand them!!! it's not fair..people need jobs here, duh.