Monday, June 15, 2009

Call on Me (St. Lucia Day TWO)

At Jump Up, we liked a lot of the music and managed to actually find what became the "vacation song" called Call on Me by Jah Cure. Wanna listen? It's catchy. Promise. :)

So, blogger was being a beast at work today and wouldn't let me comment on your blogs OR login. Arg! Annoying. This means I'll have to bring the mac when I travel tomorrow. Yes, that's right... I forgot I was leaving town for a meeting in Arkansas! Oops! 

Alright peeps...without further adieu.. here's day two! (I didnt mean for that to rhyme). I started making the pics a little bigger. And.. thanks so much for the comments on day one!! I'm trying to get facebook uploaded. I think my new fav application is iphoto for facebook b/c you can upload up to 200 pics per album! HELL YES! I only have two albums! :) I get props for whittling 1300 pics to 400. And I'll upload more to snapfish or somewhere if you wanna see more scenic and retardedly cheestastic (yes there are some) ones. 

As I posted, we had a tour on day two...and I was...um..a little hungover to be blunt here. 7:30 am.. rise and shine! Eric shined. I rose. Barely. 
Making fun of me....Nice. (Actually he gets props for being super sweet til I felt better around oh....10am) 


Spencer drove us around the capital at Castries and showed us some old buildings used during some of the 14 wars (between Great Britain and France) held over the island nation. We were asked what the below building looked like. We both guessed church. Wrong. It's an old jail. 
9:15 am or so, we stopped for breakfast at a local food stand. Spencer, our guide, bought breakfast and was so sweet, wanting us to try the local food. :) My tummy was not in any shape for that, but Eric got a bowl o' pork smothered in garlic (yeah) and Spencer got a bowl of soup for Eric to try later...cow heel soup. Do you have a hangover? B/c picture yourself having one and being offered cow heel soup. haha. 
Spencer stopped at a banana plantation.. one of many on the small island. Their bananas are a bit smaller than what we're used to and sweeter... They're rather awesomesauce. Seriously. The locals eat 4 or 5 in one sitting! (Eric may have gotten made fun of for asking to purchase just one banana later in the trip.. )

The color blue keeps certain bugs away and the bags protects the bananas. (I'm an expert now or something apparently)
Hi, I'm a baby banana. 
This is Eric. In a plantation. With his bowl o pork. (haha)
Close-up fishing village. 
From the mountains..same village... :)
Meet Jax and Eric. They're a cute couple. Fact. 
Yes! My fav! Snake man. Okay, so we're driving along with Spencer and he says "Wanna see a boa constrictor?" (native to island). Correct answer here, people: DUH. This dude was awesome. He sits by the road and collects tips (think 2 dollars or so) for letting people get pics of the snake. haha.. And what I love is how much he could give a rip. He's got his smokes, his snake....life's good. 
Soufriere. Our third hotel was between the two peaks. Gros Piton is the one we planned to hike with a guide before we opted to enjoy Pitons (the local beer) on the beach instead. ( Sending love to those who try it. I'll blow you kisses from the beach.) Petit Piton is much more steep and is a death trap not recommended for climbing.
Touraille waterfall! I heart waterfalls!
Love this shot!
Note I am fully clothed. I did not leap from any rocks or break any ribs. Thank you very much. 
Welcome to the drive in volcano! (aka sulfur springs). In the 1800s, it was mined for it's sulfur but hasn't erupted since the 1700s and is therefore dormant (I'll take volcanos for 400, Alex)... But see the steam? Dude. It's hot.
One of these little hot spots is called Gabriel's crater. Some moron tour guide jumped on the rock to demonstrate how sturdy it was. Yeah. Let's just say it wasn't so sturdy. Thanks, Gabriel. 
The piton is huge. Eric is surprised. (We're so easily entertained with ourselves it's scary).
After the tour, Spencer took us to a little place in Soufriere for lunch. Soooo good...a full plate of chicken, rice, salad, plantains, etc...
Spencer brings along beer and rum punch should you desire to indulge. I was finally feeling back to normal but a certain vacation date (*cough ERIC*) nixed my "I'll have some rum punch" comment...haha... This was my face. 
I ended up trying it anyway... This is how much I loved it!

The restaurant from the outside!
Okay, so our first tour stop earlier in the day was a place called Port Saraphine...where all the cruise ships come in. It's a center full of duty free shops. Eric found a watch he'd been looking for in the states, they didn't have the exact one, so the store ppl found it at another store and brought it back..after hours! Spencer drove us back over there for Eric to retrieve his watch and the place was closed aka became our "lets entertain ourselves" photo wonderland for about 15 minutes. 

Are you going to St. Lucia? B/c I highly recommend our tour guide. He.was.awesome. Eric found him on the net on some forums bragging about him. Such a great guy.. He had a wealth of info on the island plus some amazing personal stories. Loved every minute (after two waters and some tylenol that is). :)

Whew.. that took awhile.. Okay...our friends from OK (from law school) found a random hole in the wall place on a horseback riding tour they'd been on that day and asked if we'd be interested in going back for dinner. They'd taken a pic with Amy Winehouse there earlier... Sincerely hoping we'd see some of her antics, we were in. It was so randomly located, our cab driver had to ask where it was.... Hilarious. 

Here's the place! Called Majories Beach Bar!
Yeah, this is for real. Apparently this floated up, the US came and cleaned it out, and left it. Hilarious!!
Oh and did I mention it was karaoke night?! Awesome. :)
Bonfire!!! (with a few rain drops) Gorgeous. 
I was being a stubborn jerk/only child trying and failing to get a good shot of the palm tree and moon...and Eric figured it out! Thank you, Canon, for having cool features on your point and shoot cameras. :)
Dinnertime!! Hope you had a great Monday! Once I got through my zillion emails, life started looking a little brighter today. I only went to youtube twice (ish) to listen to that song linked above and pretend to be on the beach. 

Hopefully I'll finish fbook tonight. :) 

7 comments:

Ashley said...

A very cute couple indeed! I love how you actually learned things on your vacay. :) I'm glad you guys had such a great time! And just so you're forewarned, I will be enlisting the services of Jax and Eric to plan my next vacation :)

I'm wearing it half up and curled. We'll see how long it actually stays curled though! Very straight hair + humidity does not = beautiful curls!

Lauryl Lane said...

fun, fun and more fun! i love the picture of the jail- it's gorgeous!

In This Wonderful Life said...

great pictures! that last pic is awesome! you two did more sight seeing than we did..love that waterfall!

Stacia said...

such a gorgeous place! and great looking couple :)

care said...

love love love the pictures!

and i agree--wanna plan my next vacay?

and the picture where y'all are eating? the colorful one? after the rum punch? the two dudes in the background really don't know what to make of y'all, cracks me up!

Anonymous said...

I definitely guessed church, too. Those waterfall pics are just beautiful. You look like such a fun couple!

Jax said...

Thanks, everyone! You guys rock my world after a definite long day. :)