Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Things I suck at:

...planning a happy hour for my birthday.

Every year, my bday falls on the holiday weekend. Sooo I don't really feel the need to do something large and in charge b/c people are often busy and gone, etc... and I'm cool with low key...WAY cool actually. Okay, so...

...a couple years ago, my friend Sara and I planned a little dinner at ITR for my bday. Lemme tell you.. I was a stresscase. I think Brooke likely recalls b/c I remember her attending... It was fine once it got started, but getting the correct number for the reso was insanity.... then got there and someone was sitting at our table and wouldn't move... and and and.. basically I was in party planning hell before it actually happened b/c I wanted to make sure people were having fun, things went smoothly, etc... 

I LOVE planning things for other people, but for me...agh! I mean...I seriously want to throw fun (and preferably themed-prepare yourself) dinner parties and crap someday (ya know..when I have more than 650 square feet). As you all know (and as evidenced by my having a blog), I like being social. But, when it comes to planning something to somewhat celebrate something for myself...*nervous* I mean.. I'm betting those of you who came to my law school graduation recall the "Yeah, I think we're doing dinner or something. Come if you want!" which is in direct opposition to when I planned a surprise party for a friend years ago and was cuuuuhrazy into the details. Yeah. What's wrong with me?! LOL!

So, here I am about a week from the bday and people are asking me if I'm doing anything and if they can help plan anything. I saw visions of big, elaborateness and was like "agh! No! I dont want a big deal!" I thought "well, I suppose a happy hour would be okay..." That's where it all began. I dont want people to feel obligated to come but I dont want people to feel left out. Then, do you make a reservation? I mean....people need a place to sit...so we're back to the head count issue. And is it weird that I'm sending out info on my own bday happy hour? I dont think so.. but someone said it's weird. I dont think it's weird. They're weird. Hmph. ;)

That's all I've got. I'm having a glass of wine after work to ease the stress from planning a happy hour. haha... Nice.

Oh and..guess who has a floating holiday on her bday?! That means I get the day off!! HOORAH!!!!!! 

Oh and all this "I hate big, elaborate stuff" only applies right now. For my 30th birthday (in two years.. omg... wow.), I plan on wearing a costume and having live performers or something. And maybe tiaras. Yeah.

5 comments:

♥Joy♥ said...

I'm going to NY for my 30th Birthday. Wanna go? =D

melissa said...

dude, it's not weird sending out info for your own birthday. i do it every year. ;) have a blaaaaast! wish i could be there to help you celebrate! :) :) :)

Stacia said...

not wierd, no way plan that happy hour!! wish I could be there...in 3 years I will sure not be celebrating 30 like you & Joy but a big number to celebrate...let's all meet in New York :)

Unknown said...

I want to do something for your birthday! I'm throwing a HUGE party for Dave and I since our 30th b-days are just a month apart. I want to do it big!

Lauryl Lane said...

how bout having a little cocktail party at your own place? sammy and i live in a 650 square foot bungalow (so TWO of us in the same amount of space that you live in), and we had a christmas party last year with 30 guests. it's totally doable, you just have to let people wander. and do you have a balcony or outside space? that helps... anyway, cocktail parties in people's homes are the best. in my opinion. ;)