Hi everyone! So, today was in a word...awesomesauce. I've gotten a couple questions about what I'm doing and I suppose I shouldn't be so vain as to think everyone reads my blog all the time.. haha.. I'm a lo@ned exec for the UW. It's a two month gig where I work ONLY for the UW but am paid by my company. I get to help them with their campaign for the fall and we're (as we were told today) an invaluable asset to the whole raising 24 million dollars in 80 days. (jaw dropped...80 days.. that's a lotta dough in 80 days!)
We kicked everything off at breakfast where I met some important folks, ladies and gents... (no names no names). Plus I got to meet all the rest of the loaned execs! There are 25 of us and we come from all walks.. some peeps have insanely impressive resumes and have gotten laid off....and were therefore often found in close proximity to the power players... Some peeps were from large companies I'd heard of, some were from smaller places.... Overall, though everyone was awesome. At first it was very sorority rush.. "who are you? where are you from? etc etc etc..." But by day's end, we were all more comfy and a little less in rush mode.
We visited agencies today.. bused around to them. The first was the Y... I had NO idea about all the good things they do. And we didn't just sit in a conference room, guys. We went and saw the mental health floor...A guy let us see his room-a former vet... It was really touching to see his little dormlike space. We also learned that shelters are WAY less worthwhile than permanent housing.. and helping people transition into jobs and real life. Shelters/ppl in them often take the bulk of the funding but are the least effective. Interesting. And did you know the Y is closing?!!!! The plan of what to do with all the peeps is really interesting... I have to admit, I hung on every word... Anyway, from there, we headed to F@mily and Childr!n Serv and had our eyes opened more. We got a tour of the facility, history of the place, how they came to take on mental health (they didn't used to), and what things they offer. Did you know we have one of the highest divorce rates in the nation? Did you know 45% of 9th graders here won't graduate from high school? Did you know any of that? Did you know we incarcerate more women than ANY other state and that we're the ONLY state getting more unhealthy?! Yeah. Wow.
Anyway, from there, we headed to the S@lv@tion @rmy...and wow.. I got a little tear in my eye during part of the presentation. I'm serious. Did you know they have 94 beds for single men that are full every.single.night. They also have family rooms and single women rooms. And they never turn anyone away (unless they're visibly intoxicated or troublemakers, etc but even those folks get in when it's bad weather). A family let us tour their "apartment" and we later saw their story on the video...just a guy who'd lost his job and the family were down on their luck. I'd just never seen that side. Ever. I knew it existed, but to see it...in person. And sadly, they usually feed the most people in December... and the least in July. This year, they fed the SAME amount of people in July as they did last Dec. That's terrifying for funding...and for how many they stand to support THIS December. They're definitely hurting. We were there during lunch...and saw people in line for food, etc.. They were so nice to us. The director told us a lot of people love it b/c it's a place to sit and have a conversation...which they never get to do over a meal like you and I get to. They talked about getting people on their feet and the programs related thereto. It was all just amazing...the vast numbers of people they help every.single.day.
Finally, we ended up at the D@y Center for the Homele**. I have to admit.. that was the only place I felt a little weird.. I was in a pencil skirt and blouse and heels. And a homeless man bent down in an attempt to check me out or look up my skirt.. I dunno.. But it was just a little uncomfy to be touring with 200 plus people staring at us after that encounter. But, the info was awesome and the things they do there are amazing. It's not their fault my pencil skirt wearing self was uncomfy at times. Whatev. I just felt bad...by just being there in dressy clothes n stuff. SO glad I didn't go for the suit. Over.kill.
Anyway... there was just so much to learn there.. For example, they have storage bins people can keep their stuff in...b/c I mean.. people are afraid to go on interviews b/c they dont want to leave their stuff. I could SO see that. I mean.. why would someone leave all their worldly belongings to go on a job interview they may or may not get. So the storage bins for individuals solve that! There's so much more..
Can you tell I'm digging this? I know they have us tour the agencies as fuel for our fire to get us really geared up to encourage people to donate. It works. haha! :) I'm excited! Tomorrow, we start early and have another packed full day of stuff!
And FINALLY, THANK YOU to Kelsey over at the Seattle Smith's! She gave me this fun One Lovely Blog Award! :) She's definitely one of my fav new blog friends and I think we'd totally get along enjoy some laughs together over wine if we lived closer. :)
So, I think she gave it to fifteen people, but I'm tired and I'm weird about not making anyone feel left out, so rather than list ppl out, if you're on my blogroll, you get this! YAY! I'm serious! Love ALL your blogs!!!! :) (and I'm in a stellar mood today even though I am soooo tired). :)Okay, I just realized Rachel Zo* is playing again... Time to change the channel. Although, her show just made my type "channel" as "chanel" Yeah. It did. They're looking at vintage jewelry at chanel...wow... just wow. Don't you just love vintage jewelry like that? I mean.. they lady was just holding up a bracelet from like the 1600s! WHOA! Granted, I don't wanna know if they pried it off some dead woman's hand... so guess that's a downfall. Wow, my mind is weird.
Happy Tuesday! Sorry for the ranting, but I was pumped about today and had to share!!!
11 comments:
I couldn't agree more about our sweet little blogging friendship, and I only wish you were in Seattle because I would have no hesitancy in meeting you for a tasty beverage! hah!! Thanks for the shout out and so glad to hear your day went so well. It gave me chills hearing about ya'll visiting the Salvation Army, and the impact you can have on those people is unbelievable! I love a good tug on my heart!
i actually did know a lot of those facts and figures... my work with fam & children's serv (as an offshoot of my work on the vagina monologues) opened my eyes to a lot of things. not to mention the total deterioration of my own family a few years later. so much sadness.
although... i do remember, when i was in tulsa recently mentioning to my mum, "there are so few homeless people here!" i wish we had fewer here in LA, but the economy is making a major problem even worse. i am so glad that there are companies out there helping to make a difference by donating people like YOU. i am sending you all my best wishes these next few months. xoxo.
Yay! I'm so glad you made time to blog after such an exhausting and full day. It sounds so amazing. I'm SUPER excited you're getting this opportunity, Jax. And...I was watching Rachel Zo* too! lol. *guilty addiction face here* Shine on-Day 2! :-)
Yay! Glad it went so well today! It is so shocking to hear the statistics. I am currently doing a lot with our company's UW campaign, and when I heard some of the numbers, I couldn't believe it. But you actually got to see it in person, which I'm sure makes it hit home that much more. I'm excited to hear about the rest of your days there!
Glad you had a great day! You should check out a battered women's shelter...um yea. Again you will have to read my book...lol
A LOT of people do not know what's on the other side!
The homeless coordinator works in my office, they can often wander in to my desk..sad sad sad!
girly you had a busy day!
glad it was a great one though!!
congrats on the award, you deserve it :)
What a day for you, and yeah, visiting in person tends to have quite an impact. By the way, I love the word awesomesauce!
That's awesome. It's amazing there are some many organizations that help people. All donations matter, regardless if its one can of food or $5. It goes towards something that helps someone else. Glad you had an awesome time. This will be one great experience!
I love hearing all about your work with UW. I was hoping you would keep us posted!
I'm glad everything is going so well!
i'm confused. you're saying 45% of ninth graders in the state of oklahoma don't graduate from high school? or are you saying 45% of ninth graders that family and children's services helps don't graduate?
glad you're liking your job and can't wait to hear more! i'll call you this WE!
why do you keep putting * in your words? so your blog doesn't show up when people search terms? how do you know which terms to watch out for? e.g. why was "lo@ned" a special case? can comments i leave show up in searches? i'm scared! tell me next time we talk. i'll never remember to look back here for an answer...
i LOVE the rachel zoe project! i started watching it just to see if they ever showed her eating (no), but i ended up really liking it and continuing to watch. i'm glad season 2 is here!
lauren
Post a Comment