Sunday, January 17, 2010

"Slow your role"

I went to my first spin class this week. It was a 45 minute class. It felt like 16 years and I was fairly confident I was going to die before the class was over. It didn't help that there was some awkward gentleman with a Kramer (Seinfeld) hairdo to the right of me cheering all of us new girls on (there were three new girls). Mind you, I'm cool with this guy, but for real...I don't need him looking at us yelling "YEAH! You've got this! Push it!" when he's not even the teacher and his hair makes me frustrated.

(no this isn't my class. I stole this from the interwebs)
My teacher was awesome-in amazing shape, super cute little perky blonde girl. She even had to take a "I might puke-let's slow for a second" break at one point. Lemme tell you.. if my TEACHER almost puked, I'm surprised I'm alive.

The class, my friends is 45 minutes. I couldn't see the clock sooooo about the time I felt like it should be over (realistically, not just 3 minutes in...haha), M (teacher) said "Okay, give it all you've got.. Let's go breathless b/c this is the last mountain.. I see the end.. I see the finish line.. C'mon people!" So I did.. I gave it all I had b/c well.. she'd just said we were at the end....

Then the song ended.

And she said "Okay, new song..."

Oh. She meant the end of the RACE not the end of the class. *expletive here*

When we'd speed up (and I thought I might face plant into the handlebars) then slow down, she'd say "slow your role" which made me mentally like her more b/c it amused me...

The moment I didn't like her so much was when this came out of her mouth "Okay, that's the end of our 45 minute class...but I'm feeling it today.. whatdya say we go an hour or an hour ten today?! Let's speed it up!" The whole class sped up. I got off my bike and left. Yeah, I really did. I signed up for 45 minutes by gosh, that's what I was doing...haha.. :)

Overall observations: Those seats suck. It's been three days and my @ss still feels bruised. Since that class, I've been informed about padded shorts cyclists wear...and padded seat covers some peeps like. I've filed that in: things I wish I knew BEFORE the class.

But, I don't think I've had that good of a workout in a LONG.TIME.- it felt great!!! I will definitely be going back, but not quite sure when b/c my friend, Rachel, and I started an official couch to 5K program with a local running group.... and even ran in the rain yesterday morning! Yup, I got my arse outta bed on a Saturday morning and took one step towards my goal of running a 5K in March! :) Hooray! So they run on the same days as spin class...Whatevs. That just gives me a couple months to let my rear heal...b/c at this point, I feel like it'll take that long! YEEEEEOUCH!

***********
Random: Sending blog apologies if I'm random & not overly comment-riffic, etc over the next couple weeks. MAJOR work meetings out of town this week, then I come back and leave again for more... Then, I "slow my role" (yup, still amuses me) for a couple months I think... :)

21 comments:

Brittany said...

Good for you! I don't know if I could last even a half hour ha. And you're right, if you signed up to cycle for 45 min, that's all you should have to do ;) Good luck on reaching your 5K goal!

Stephanie H said...

Wow! That is way longer than I think I would make it. I am quite the wimp when it comes to exercise. And good for you for being done when the 45 minutes was up!

The Undomestic Mom said...

You crack me up girl! 45 minutes is plenty long in a spin class! Im pretty sure if my girl ever tried to go over the 45 min mark I would bounce out of there too!

London Girl said...

I'd go for running over spinning any day :) I just think it tones your body better. Plus, you can do it outside!
<3

Kerri said...

Oh my gosh, I went to a spin class a few years ago, once. I literally thought I was going to die after a minute and then she kept telling us to increase our resistance and it basically the worst hour of my life. I would have walked my happy butt out after my 45 minutes too!

Sarah @ Preaching In Pumps said...

Ummm, yeah. That's why I don't do those classes, ha!!

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

Your bootay will definitely get use to the seat, so stick with it and after a few more times you won't even recognize it! Yay for you lady!!

Ashley said...

Wow! I have always been too scared to try a spin class, but when I walk by the spin rooms I can hear that instructor yelling and saying "c'mon faster faster" I just keep walking! More power to you for going and staying the whole time!!

Anonymous said...

Funny I have those same feelings when I take a spinning class, and until I buy a seat cover I won't be going back haha, it IS so painful.

Marian said...

Ummm...seriously, I was the SAME EXACT WAY after my first spinning class. It was like you read my mind or something. I wanted to die. My backside never hurt so much. And even though the standing up while riding the bike is harder, I just wanted to do that the whole time because my butt hurt sooo much. But it gets better with time. And it is an amazing workout!!

Hallie said...

Don't worry, you get used to it! Now I got to spinning at least once a week and LOVE IT! It takes a couple classes for your butt to get used to the seat, but once you do it's amazing!

Patience said...

I am laughing so hard reading this post because it takes me back to my very first spinning class, I nearly thought I was going to die and I swore I was never going back. Now I go at least three times a week and I love it.

Jocelyn said...

Ok, I have been contemplating going to a spin class at my YMCA...NOW not so sure I wanna do it!!! Haha! Your post had me laughing...I think I will stick to the treadmill and elliptical.

Brown Girl said...

I love spin class. It's a great break up to my normally consistent work out. Only part that bugs is it hurts my bum sometimes!

Lauren @ Dreams Take Flight said...

Spin class is intense! A great workout, but I always feel like such a fatty compared to the people who go all the time! Good for you about the Couch to 5K though, I need to get off of my butt and start running but its sooo chilly out. :)

mommywonderland said...

I miss my gym membership :( I was a spin addict!!! Good for you girly..I love that his hair frustrated you..ha ha!

Alison said...

Haha Kramer! Classic! :)

Annie said...

i really need to join a gym that offers classes! i want to try a spin class!!
glad you worked hard hun, i'm sure it was not easy!!!
guessing, i would've felt like i was dying as well ;)

Lauren said...

Oh my gosh!!! I am so glad you posted about this! I had my first spin class ever last Tuesday night and I'm finally starting to feel a little better... But it still hurts to sit! Ha ha those spin seats are horrible! So glad I am not the only one who thinks spin is torture.

Meredith said...

Holy cow, no way could I do that--props to you. Good luck with the 5k thing! I started that same thing in October but quit pretty quickly. Think I might start it up again. I should sign up for a race so I actually have motivation!

Anonymous said...

I still haven't taken a spin class, but I really want to! Although now that you've actually described what it's like-I'm a little scared!