Him: "Are you going to change your blog name when you turn 30 {this week}?"
Me: "Eventually... I can't come up with anything really...."
Him: "Did anything happen in the 30s...?"(to go along with the roaring twenties theme I've got right now)
Eric, me and his brother simultaneously: "The great depression."
*laughter ensued*
So.. I'm about to get a tinge self reflective on you. Sorry in advance.
But, it's kinda impossible not to. I mean.. 30 is a benchmark birthday, right?! And well, unless you have no ambition, you're going to kinda reflect a little.
- I don't own a home.
- I'm not married.
- I don't have kids.
But...
- I have a law degree and license
- I have a great job
- I have a great family
- I have the best friends a girl could ask for
- I have a fantastic boyfriend. :)
- (and I could go on and on)
Anyway.... it's easy to be self critical at these benchmark birthdays I think, even if you shouldn't be.
And I think to just 5 years ago when I thought I knew SO much... Buuuuuut I also remember feeling so lost. I was dating someone that was NOT right for me, studying for the bar exam for a job I really didn't like, and found myself questioning who my real friends were. I wasn't great at speaking my mind when I needed to and was just starting to learn what work/life balance really meant...
In just five years, all of those things have resolved themselves. Or rather... I resolved them, and learned a lot about myself along the way. :) And I'm not saying people in their 30s can't feel confused and lost and yada yada... but I think I get it when people say they'd never go back to their early 20s again b/c that stuff was stressful! LOL! Hell, forget stressful... I'm fairly sure I don't have the energy to keep up with my early-twenties self!
I've learned what it's like to know yourself...and there's no easy way to explain that. I know what I want, what I need, and the difference between those two. I've learned when to keep my mouth shut (this took nearly 28.5 of my 30 years of life..haha..), and when to speak my mind.
A lot of soul searching took place in my 20s and I could go through all the things I've learned, am thankful for, etc, but there are too many to list. All in all, I'm grateful to be who I am...b/c I really like who I see when I look in the mirror. My mirror might be in my rental house I share with a roommate and our furry kids, but I'm okay with that. :) For the most part, I've made good choices so far. (About 100 flashes from some
So with that, let my birthday week begin! Well.. okay okay..my birthday is actually next Sunday, soooo my week should technically be next week. But, that's dumb b/c who celebrates their birthday week on the week AFTER their birthday. No. I'm proclaiming this as my birthday week! Cupcakes for everyone! ;)
34 comments:
Don't let people telling you about what you don't have worry you. You're happy and comfortable with your life, you can do what you want.
And think of it this way, once you are married and have kids...all those friends of yours can probably buy you bigger and better presents than you did when you were still in school and probably not as financially stable as they will be when it's your time. ;)
Anyways, happy early birthday! I agree in celebrating it the week before too.
HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY! 30 is fun. I think you'll enjoy it. :)
My sister is turning 30 this year and she has more life in her than a lot of people that are my age! (I'm 23). She is extremely responsible and knows how to have fun. I have no fear of turning 30 since she makes it look fun. Hope you have a great birthday and I'm glad you are able to recognize all the positives instead of dwell on any negative!
Alyssa- CoolProducts.com
you should be proud of all you have accomplished in your short 30 years!! I hope the next thirty are just as roaring and adventurous! xoxoxo!!!
Happy Birthday Week! You know how awesome you are :)
Happy Birthday! Enjoy your day -- and your week. :)
Blessings on your next thirty! :)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY WEEK!!!
My motto for getting older is in your 20's you figure out what you want and how to get there, in your 30's you start seeing your dreams turn into reality and in your 40's & 50's you get to enjoy it all. This is what I tell myself to feel better:)
Next week is my 30th birthday week! (I'm on the 5th) and I swear I could've written this post myself! So what if we don't own houses or aren't married or have kids, I'm grabbing 30 by the balls and embracing every second!
Happy early birthday!!
This is such a great post. I can relate to having expectations about what a certain age will look like, and then when you get there, you're like "woah was I off!" Clearly you're life is awesome even if it's not "conventional 30 life", and you have accomplished so much! You have such a great outlook. Happy early bday!
Such a cool post! You're so right, you do have some great things going for you! It doesn't matter what age you are, it's so easy to compare yourself to others who are in the same stage of life as you.
Age is just a number! :) I think you're fabulous at 30!
great outlook on your life! So happy to help you celebrate your birthday week!! I agree that turning 30 definitely deserves an entire week!!
I think you're doing great for turning 30! :) You have a great attitude too!!!
Don't be bothered with what other people say. IF you chose to, you can have those things later in life and you have already accomplished so much! 30 is going to be a fabulous year for you and bring on the next "roaring" decade!! xoxo birthday girl!
First, happy early birthday!!! I laughed out loud at the coversation with Eric's brother!
I have always believed we are on own timelines in life and when we look back everything makes sense. I have a feeling your 30s will be your best decade yet!
yay for dirty thirty :):):)
Happy birthday week!!!!
These people that point out that your 30, no kids, no husband etc etc are usually the people that married way to young, had kids when they weren't ready, and thus don't have a happy marriage currently!!! JUST SAYIN. hehe
I'm right there with you (newly 29) not married no kids not a home owner.
But I look at it like an accomplishment. All these years i have SURVIVED on my own without the help financially from a boy etc etc ya know?
What will you call your blog once that big milestone B day arrives? I know you are super creative and whatever it is, it will be good! :)
It's definitely crazy to think back to when you were younger and where you thought you would be at a certain age... I've done the same thing numerous times, and I'm only 25!
That being said, it doesn't matter whether you are a wife/mother/homeowner/etc. The only important thing is that you are HAPPY. Great job/boyfriend/puppy, what more do you need? Haha
Happy birthday!! :)
Just found your blog and am LOVING it! And I know how you feel about being a facebook compair and dispair stalker...I do that too sometimes! Just remember there are a lot of people probably looking back at you and saying "wow I wish I had her life"...and society doesnt demand what you do! a lot of people may be married...but is it to the right person? did they have kids bc they wanted to, or because they thought they should. Keep being YOU and live your life for you. Because it looks like you ROCK! Have you ever seen the movie "13 going on 30" with jennifer garner? Maybe your new blog title can be: Thirty, Flirty and THRIVING!! can't wait to read more!
"In just five years, all of those things have resolved themselves. Or rather... I resolved them, and learned a lot about myself along the way." - This might be my favorite sentence you've ever written. Happy (early) birthday friend. Welcome to 30. Love you.
Happy Birthday week beautiful!!
I see lots of things happening for you over the next year :) I sure do!!
Happy, happy birthday!!! You forgot one thing off of your 'blessings' list... a fab blog people (me) LOVE to read! Over the past few years I have realized that people out there have this idea and timeline of the way that life is suppossed to be! Sometimes I would feel like I was falling behind on accomplishing things, and then one day I thought, 'hey I don't want to do it that way!' Life is so much more fun when you let it happen, isn't it! I hope all your birthday wishes come true!
I LOVE this post! I too love & pictured myself in the house from Father of the Bride...or The Patriot (I'm a huge fan of columns....) I agree we couldn't keep up with our early twenties again, and I don't want to...I've enjoyed my late twenties much more and look forward to my early thirties. Cheers to knowing exactly what you want when you want it and Happy Birthday Week!
That is exactly right...who is to say that there is a list you should have to accomplish by a specific age?!? Most importantly, it is your birthday (week) and you should celebrate you being happy, healthy, etc! Wishing you a great b.day week!
PS- I finally posted about your awesome giveaway..thanks so much again!
Happy Birthday! I'm close to 30 and feel the same way...there is NO way I could live my 20 year old life again! Haha! But I do feel a little more like an adult...I don't have kids, but I can't imagine being the mom I would want to be in my early 20's!
so i have been reading your blog for a long time but have never commented.. I just wanted to let you know how good this post was to read. I am relatively young still (24) and just ended a long relationship with someone i thought was "the one" but who was likely just really wrong for me. It's hard to get past this little roadbump when everyone I know is getting married and starting their lives in that way - it is refreshing to see that not everyone needs to be married by age 25 and there are so many other personal things to accomplish. Enough rambling, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
YAY, hope you have a fabulous birthday week. Since my big 3-0 was earlier this month, I can totally relate to where you are coming from. My co-worker and I were just talking about how weird it is to be a grown up. I am not even close to the person I thought I was going to be at 30, but I am learning to deal with that and feel like I am blessed without those things!
Happy early birthday!! Tear those thirties up & love it!
I can relate so much! Almost all my friends are married and now they are all getting pregnant. Seriously, I have 10 currently knocked up friends...I counted at work the other day. Its easy to get caught up in the things you havent done and forget about all the awesome things you have accomplished. cheers to 30!
Yeah, I'm late to this party...but you know I love you all the same right!!! 30 is great. I was a tad nervous because I wouldn't be young and in my 20's anymore...buts its not so bad. Plus, all the cool kids are doing it;)
Yay for birthdays! That sounds like an exciting one. I really hope your enjoy the entire week!
Happy Brithday!! I love how your focusing on the things you do have! You really do have a great life. Hello.... do you read your blog? :) CA is great; you'll have a good time!
I hope you have a wonderful Birthday!!!! I know what you mean about the not having list but sometimes you have to fly by your own rules and you seem REALLY happy!
So far (a whopping 5 months in) the 30s have been great! Happy Birthday!
Post a Comment