Tuesday, December 11, 2012

It's official!

You guys... thank you SO much for your sweet comments about little Winston- especially for the comments about adding an additional dog to your families! You really, really put me at ease. I just realized some of you don't have the "reply" feature active so I couldn't respond directly to your comment in email, but seriously.. I really appreciate you. Gracie is already coming around a TON and even barked at the foster mom tonight when she came over to sign paperwork! ha! I think she was saying "Hey now...you can't take this guy!" :) 

Gracie was about to bolt off the couch, but this was cute for a second. :)

I think little Winston was a little sad to see his foster mom go. He sat at the door looking out for a bit. But, then he came and laid beside me with his head on my lap. I already love this little guy. So happy he's found his home here with us. 

I had a couple friends give me tips about making sure Gracie feels like the alpha and the tips have helped immensely! It's crazy actually! It's as easy as greeting her first, putting her food down first, and giving her a treat first. Winston always steps aside and lets her go out the back door first (a sign that he already thinks she's the alpha). Doing those little things has put her at ease a lot more than she was initially. She's so demure, so it's funny that she's the alpha dog. She's even the alpha with my mom's bigger dog. Bossy little thing! ha! :) 

Finally, I believe in rescuing. I won't get on a soapbox about it, but please know you can find fantastic, healthy,  full breed dogs (if that's what you're looking for), but you might just have to be a little patient if you're looking for a specific dog. In Tulsa alone, over 7, 500 animals were euthanized last year. That's just heartbreaking. If you are ever, EVER told to meet a breeder at a parking lot/random place, be cautious the dog might be coming from a mill.  There should be no reason a reputable breeder wouldn't be okay with you seeing their home. We had a dog from a breeder when I was a little girl and he was great! He's the reason I fell in love with doggies! So I don't mean to imply that I shun reputable breeders because I definitely don't. But, please, please consider rescue if you're adopting a new furry family member. 

Here's where we found Winston! If you even read some of the many stories on the site, you'll see why I was often in tears every time I spent more than 5 minutes on their page...haha.. So many good dogs just needing some love. :) 

I'm so glad Winston found his home with us!! :)

14 comments:

ty said...

Winny is PRECIOUS!!

Katie said...

Congratulations!!! You definitely make me want to adopt a pup! I'm so glad it worked out!

Kaitlin said...

Yay! So glad you are keeping him! I'm sure your two pups will get along perfectly after the transitional phase is over. Enjoy!

Amber K said...

Having two dogs is the best! We got out little girl before our boy and she is definitely the alpha ;) And she lets him know it ALL the time, haha. But, they love each other so much which is just too cute to see!

Unknown said...

This is so exciting! He is just the cutest!!! He and Gracie are just adorable together. Beautiful dogs.

Carolyn said...

I'm so glad you got another dog! Our Gracie had a little bit of an adjustment period too, but now they're best friends!! :)

Southern Sass said...

Your dogs are so precious!! I unfortunately no longer have my Cocker Spaniel but have been looking for another one or a Cavalier King Charles in the Tulsa area for a while now but haven't had much luck.

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

YAY for Winston! I bet he is so happy to be in your lives too! Love that picture of you guys!

Sweet Simplicity said...

He is adorable! Congrats on the new addition!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Yay!!!! Sir Winston is staying!!!!

Britt said...

Yay! Gracie has a friend:)

Laura said...

Congrats on the new pup! My Cavalier is also a rescue dog, and a couple of years ago, we also rescued an Australian Shepherd (both are purebreds). Adding a second dog was a great decision for Lucy, my Cavalier. The only two things I regret are the increase in dog hair because it means I have to vacuum my floors all the time, and that we adopted both of them in July (although a few years apart), and so they are both due for their annuals at the vet at the same time every year, and it's expensive! I wanted our second dog to be another Cavalier, but my husband (then boyfriend) wanted a bigger dog, so that's how we ended up with an Australian Shepherd. They are the best of friends!

Leslie @ A Blonde Ambition said...

Congrats on Mr. Winston! He is so adorable and his little face just says, "Please cuddle with me." The more the merrier, when it comes to dogs, anyway. Have a BLAST getting acquainted with the new baby and please continue to post doggy-grams on Insta : ) You know I can't get enough of those!!

Christine said...

aw yay!! So glad you guys decided to keep him! He's freaking adorable!! You hit the adopt-a-pet lottery! :)