Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The squirrel

The other day, I went to my mom's to drop something off. Being the nice person that I am (haha), I got some cute little outfits for my cousin's babies and was giving them to my mom to take on her trip to visit the fam in Virginia.

So, I pull up, Children's Place bag in tow, and witness a murder. Well, more like a murder victim.

A squirrel.

It was dangling from my mom's attic window...by it's neck..from a trap. A TRAP. I was SO angry that this little animal's life had been sacrificed for the sake of the wires in the attic. It looked like he'd committed squirrel-icide. Boo.

So, I went inside, found the trapper card (for the person I assumed it was) and left a message along the lines of "Hello. I'm house sitting for my mom at **** (address). There is a squirrel dangling.dead.from her attic and it's not only disturbing but also horribly sad. I'm assuming this animal was killed by one of your traps. I'm unfamiliar with the removal process, but it needs to occur pronto. Please call me back at ******. Thanks."

From there, I found a ladder.

I took myself...heels and all..to the side of the house...in the 100 degree weather...blowing the blonde bangs out of my face with every other move...and attempted to cut Mr. Squirrel free from his death trap. His little contorted face made me sick. I couldn't do it. The wire was too thick.

With tears in my eyes, I climbed down and rec'd a call from the trapper. He said he'd be out asap...and asked how long I'd be house-sitting. (I dont think he likes me).

I called my mother a murderer when she got home. She was unaffected.

I think I've convinced her to find a more humane trapping system.

I need to join PETA.

7 comments:

DL Documentary said...

so devastated that you still were able to come up with "squirrelicide"????

♥Joy♥ said...

Thank you for the visual. I am not picturing a slew of squirrelicides in my head and each one is more disturbing than the next.

Boo.

Yay for Jackie in heels trying to salvage what was left of dead squirrel's dignity! YOU ROCK!

♥Joy♥ said...

I am now*

sry.

Anonymous said...

That's awful! Why did you cut it down? I can't believe you did that! Such a brave little toaster.

Lauren

brooke knight said...

i am proud of you! i would never have had the balls to call the place and say something - i am super glad that you have convinced your mom that was totally icky.

Sarah said...

oh my God.

care said...

if I could I'd give you a little badge of honor for your effort. maybe I have a date with some construction paper and glue tonight, hmm?