Hellllllo peeeeeeeps! So, the camera was still smoking at the end of day three from all the pics. You've been warned. Pics are more interesting than my rambling and I know that, so yeah..sorry for letting my fingers get ahead of me in this post with all the text...
Eric had decided to book a round of golf at a nearby course for the morning, so I decided to book myself a pool chair (You really don't have to book those; I was trying to be funny. It prolly didn't work. Moving on..) Adult-only pool....yes.please. (Whoever invented the adult-only pool is my hero). Now don't get me wrong.. I love me some kiddos. But, I also love me some quiet poolside reading next to the tannest people I've ever seen. Seriously. That's them.. reading.. They seemed very nice, but every day, I spotted them sunning themselves...beach, pool, whatever..Chairs always positioned to get optimal sun. I mean seriously we're talking Something About M@ry standards here, folks. Anyway, whatever. I enjoyed the pool.
The staff came by with cold towels and fresh fruit as I read my book... *happy sigh and closing eyes* Care to join me there, anyone? I'm kinda ready to go back...
It's not like the other pool was exactly overrun with kiddos, though. Still very peaceful and quiet, see below! :)
Also, those cabana things.. see em? Okay, well they were like $300/day to rent or something. I dunno, we didn't get one. But, the peeps who did often went in there, closed the curtains around them...and sat there. So, um.. they paid $300/day to sit there enclosed where they couldnt see anything. Strange. Anyway...moving on...
Eric got done with golfing and we decided to see what extreme West Maui had to offer, specifically Nakalele blowhole! It's a place where the ocean has undercut the shoreline, pounding underneath the lava shelf, where it spits through a man sized hole in the lava rock! (See, sounds cool, right?). Here's the basic drive we took.... (started at Wailea where our hotel was). :)
..stopped at a scenic lookout....
...took some pics....
....applied sunblock... (haha)
...took photos at random gorgeous beaches we saw along the way... :)
...and then arrived at Nakalele blowhole! Wait..wait...Okay, so, it took us a couple days to actually chill the hell out and realize we were on vacation. We were obviously LOVING life, but the daily grind had left a deep gash in our stress level before the vacay...and it was healing slowly.. lol! What I mean is, getting to the blowhole was semi hilarious.
I was reading the guidebook and it says verbatim "Exactly 1/2 mile past the 38 mile marker is a wide turnout backed by round boulders. About 1200 feet from the road is the blowhole." Eric was driving and we didn't see the boulders, so stress was quickly mounting. I believe he said "well, you're not giving me any sort of address" to which I snapped "oh excuse me, I meant the boulders are at 444 boulder lane. I have no idea!" or something equally crappy. We exchanged an exasperated glance before I made him get off the road and read it for himself. When he did, we looked and both went "Oh, there are the boulders" like right by us. Nice. So, anyway, we found the blowhole...haha..
We got out of the car and looked down...waaaaaay down...to see the blowhole. We decided we didn't go all that way to just stare at it from above...so down we started climbing! See pic below. And see the specks above me? Those are PEOPLE! That's where we climbed from. I took the time to identify it for you...ya know...to make sure you didnt miss it...haha...
The blowhole!
We took turns going and standing there as the blowhole did it's thing! You never knew which wave would make it really roar! (But definitely didn't want to get too close b/c if you got sucked down, things weren't gonna be good).Love this one of Eric and the blowhole! :)
Eric got an awesome video of me and the blowhole! I look (and sound) like a total cheeseball, but it's still a pretty cool video. I thought he was just taking pics so I keep smiling like an idiot and then point out a rainbow... Anyway..whatever.. There was some cute little girl that kept saying the blowhole liked us. I dunno. She gets points for being under 8 and climbing all the way down there. My kids will be cool like that someday. I'm just saying.
This guy is pretty awesomesauce. :)
Our guidebook called the area around the blowhole something that looked like an alien warzone where combatants fought with acid. *nod head affirmatively as I type* Pretty accurate. Eric posing... :)
We hiked back up and headed on to the Olivine Pools. I was REALLY looking forward to them... But uh... we were the only people anywhere NEAR this trail and couldnt tell where the pools really were. (And felt like we were about to become some sort of Datel!ne special alone out there)Soooo we opted for a quick photo kiss and moved along. See ya next time, Olivine Pools.
And onward to the "best banana bread on the planet" <--guidebook. I mean with a rep like that, we HAD to check it out. It was a mere few miles away! Check out Eric signing the guestbook there. As an aside, we told them we were from Oklahoma, and the dude immediately said"BO0MER SO0NER! B0B ST00PS!" We were in the middle of nowhere, people. Go figure, a sooner fan.. sheesh. (We didn't go to OU) Still funny and way random.
To get the best banana bread on the planet (it really was damn good), we had to take roads like this. Oh? You dont think it's so scary? See a guard rail? Yeah, me neither. And the dropoff isnt pretty. Oh and did I mention this is a two way rode?
Yeah, it is. We were seriously half on the grass as close to the edge as we could go without tumbling to our deaths as this car passed. I may or may not have been saying ohmygawdwe'regoingtodie repeatedly. I'm such a positive person to have in the car in one of these situations....And if the crazy highway didn't kill us, then we'd be damned if some falling rocks were gonna get us.. But uh... they coulda gotten someone... Check this out! Sign....
...two feet later...
Stopped at a gorgeous beach as the sun was setting.... :)
...and took some photos...
Just look at these happy smiles after some banana bread! (we both get cranky when we don't eat. Just saying).
We opted to stop in Ka'anapali for dinner and to check out Whalers Village, a little shopping center. :)We were looking
We dragged our tired selves back to the hotel where we showered and met up with Eric's friends there on their honeymoon at the resort next door! :) From there, I'm fairly certain it took 15 seconds before we were counting sheep....
Until Day 4..... :)


14 comments:
Loved reading the tweets while you were there, looks so beautiful. You have the best clothes! I love hawaii... it's so special. So glad you guys had a fun time :)
wow that blowhole looks amazing! seems you had a great time jax :)
Maui is one of my favorite places ever, and Kihei makes me so happy! It's right in the cove with Wailea where the rain skips us!! LOVE the blowhole photos and the ones where your like a gorgeous silhouette! Keep em' coming photo and recap wise!!
That blowhole seems awesome! I've never seen one up close like that. You're seriously making me want to take a vacation so bad instead of sitting in my office this morning :)
agree with Tracey on the best clothes. I'm thinking you should start including your styling of clothing in your blog. :)
I want to travel with the two of you, looks so fun!
Love Maui!!!
I was on a cruise with my family a few years ago and there was an 18+ pool on the top deck. Not only did the staff chase wandering kiddos out, but there were SOUND BARRIERS to keep the noise from the family pools at bay. Amaaaaazing.
Um, I'll totally go back with you...and we can have a party in one of those cabanas:)
I'm loving your Maui re-caps..keep them coming sista!
...but now I'm ready for a vaca and I don't see one in my near future! haha
Wow these pictures look amazing, i am ready to go to maui. take me with you next time!!!
It looks like it was an amazing day!!! I love those photos at the blow hole!
Is that the road to Hana? We went on that when we were there for our honeymoon and I hated it. So Scary!
This is all making me very jealous! We LOVE hawaii. Can't wait to go back!
Post a Comment