Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Random Ramblings

Random ramblings...in random order. ;)

* So, after saying I was going to blog more, guess what happened... My computer died. I mean, it hasn't officially kicked the bucket yet, but it's close. It's doing very bizarre things and I don't trust it enough to load my Europe photos on it. :( I'm using Eric's computer, but we have to get me a new one. Blah.

* Speaking of spending, while we were waiting on election results last night, Eric and I made a budget. Not a wedding budget... we have one of those... but a budget-budget. I mean, neither one of us are exactly buying Ferrari's or anything, and we're both already cautious with our cash-especially with wedding planning- but we knew we needed to lock it up a little. I was FLOORED by how much we spend to eat out and entertain ourselves. Starting a good budget together will be challenging with the holidays coming up, but better sooner than later, right?

* Over the past month, I've become obsessed with the show Revenge. My friend told me about it and since we have Netflix, I decided to watch the pilot. Here I am approximately 5 weeks later and I'm totally caught up with all 22 episodes in season 1 and the all of season 2 thus far. Good grief it's good!
* In other television news, how freaking crazy was Walking Dead this week?! I don't want to ruin it if you haven't watched this week's yet, but good grief! And watch the preview for next week...What do you think? Glenn needs "two more" of them dug? Two more?! I mean, I can get two, but then who is the third one?! (Watch here if you want to know what I'm talking about).

* Eric and I are having some engagement photos taken Monday if the weather permits! Do a little happy weather dance for us, please! We're off work for Veterans' Day and plan to take advantage of the fall foliage while it's still pretty if we can. (And of course little G dog is going to be in them). :) I'm SO excited!!! I just LOVE engagement photos! It's probably a little creepy how much I love engagement photos. Eh whatever.

* I'm going to skip over all the election talk but just ask if you guys saw Diane Sawyer last night? Whoa. What the heck was going on with her?

* What are your thoughts on registering for parts of a honeymoon? No, we haven't even thought about registering OR our honeymoon yet, but here's the sitch. We're in our 30s and we really just don't need a lot of "stuff" that we don't already have. I mean, don't get me wrong.. I can think of PLENTY of things we'll "need" come registry time...haha.. But, it's also crossed my mind to think about registering for some of our honeymoon if it makes sense. We live in an adorable little house, but we don't have a ton of room for extra things we might need "someday." Sure, we'll move and need more stuff, but there's so much you can guestimate about what you'd need, ya know. Could be a good idea to give people options of a regular registry and a honeymoon-type registry...*shrugs* Have you or anyone you've known done that? Heard anything good or bad about it? I've read some sites take a huge percentage off the top which is stupid and not worth it, but just thought it was worth investigating...

14 comments:

Shannyn said...

We did a honeyfund registry in addition to a regular registry and we got a lot of honeyfund gifts, which were wonderful! Only so much room for another kitchen gadget, for real. =)

Christy {SparklesandSpinach} said...

I totally LOVE Revenge too!!! So much that I watched it when it was on and then Husby and I watched it over the summer on Netflix (he hadn't seen it). Walking Dead was nuts this weekend!!! I'm still reeling from that!!! And I love the idea of a Honeymoon Registry! At least your guests will know you'll use it =)

Anonymous said...

We used travelersjoy.com for our honeymoon registry. I thought the site was set up well and probably less intimidating for older people (or those hesitant to purchase things online) compared to the other sites that I looked at. I heard a lot of stories before our wedding about people receiving gifts that they didn't ask for or didn't need and that really wasn't a problem for us. I think it helped to inform people what we really wanted/needed. I would definitely recommend it!!

Emily said...

1) Hi, I've missed you and your blog!
2) You're engaged (see I've really missed your blog)!!!!!!!!!!!
3) Budgets terrify me. Like in a bad way. I think once I graduate law school in May--then I'll be making one to pay back loans.
4) I've never heard of this Honeymoon registering, but I like it, I think. I think it would stress my mom out--but I'd do it!

Emily said...

I had a lot of stuff already when we got married, but I looked at it as a way to get quality items. Like nice cookware that I'll have for many, many years to come. You can always upgrade from some of the stuff you have!

Megan said...

I have heard of the honeymoon registry. I think its a great idea....several ways I have come across on the invite or whatever they put help us pay for a cruise or something to that effect or they put in a map and where they want to go and have a cute little saying like help us go here instead of a registry..? I think its a great way and since people are going to give you soemthing anyways atleast give you something you will use

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

Have you ever tried mint.com? Def check it out for budgeting, I love it and am kind of sickly obsessed with tracking my spending! Love Revenge too! Crossing my fingers for great weather - can't wait to see them! Please share as soon as you get them!!

Tiffany said...

I LOVE the honeymoon fun idea. My friends did it for their wedding and it ended up working out great. I loved buying them a four-wheeler adventure on their trip to the Bahamas! You'll wan tto register for some "regular stuff" too just becuase some people (especially older people) didn't seem so into the honeymoon thing, but most of our friends loved it!

~Tiffany
http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com

Katy said...

I think a honeymoon registry is a fantastic idea! You should definitely do that.
Joe and I have a budget too and it sucks. Seriously - I hate when he tells me I need to take a look at the budget. It is scary to confront the reasons why we can never save money!
Good luck with your pics. Is Walt taking them?

Unknown said...

We love Revenge at our house! In fact, Dave makes copious amounts of fun at the crazy plots and how unrealistic it all is and how bad the acting is, but we still watch it together every Sunday night! As for the honeymoon idea...I have never seen anyone register for it, but we almost always give people an experience for their honeymoon. Couple's massages at their resort, dinner at a fancy restaurant they have chosen at their destination, museum tickets...whatever works for them depending on where they go. I love for people to make a memory together as newlyweds.

Mateya said...

Yay for engagement pics! They will be gorgeous I'm sure!

I have got to check out this Diane Sawyer thing, I've heard so much about her craziness but haven't seen it myself :)

Krystal said...

Love Revenge but I haven't started this season yet. I like to let a few build up and then watch them!!
Can't wait to see your engagement pics, I know they will be gorgeous!!
I had some friends do a honeymoon registry and they had a good experience with it. Mostly what other people have said about it, your friends will probably do it more than the older guests.

Christine said...

We didn't register for honeymoon treats but it would have been nice to have someone else pay for a massage while we were there so I say go for it! But also make sure you register for the stuff you'll need "someday" b/c when that day comes around you won't want to spend your $ on it... Oh and my good friend is having a "honeymoon shower" for her bachelorette instead of lingerie - so she's asking for swimsuits, coverups, beach bags - you might think about doing something like that too b/c who really needs 12 pieces of lingerie....

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I can't wait to see your engagement photos! I hope the weather holds out! I think the idea of registering for a honeymoon is a good one. I gave a gift like that for someone and she had set hers up on the actual place that she was going. The hotel had it set up on their website that you went and added it to their fund. Maybe you can find one like that?